How can you evaluate this integral using an analytic method?

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of a definite integral, a non-linear relation between x and y, and the desire to evaluate a double integral using an analytic technique. It is suggested to find dx in terms of dy and use the mean value theorem to solve the integral.
JulieK
I know the value of the following definite integral

[itex]\int_{a}^{b}ydx[/itex]

I also have a realtion

[itex]x=f(y)[/itex]

i.e. x is an explicit function of y but I do not have y as an explicit
function of x. The relation between x and y is generally non linear.

Now I want to get the following definite integral

[itex]\int_{a}^{b}\left[\int ydx\right]xdx[/itex]

i.e. [itex]\int ydx[/itex] multiplied by x evaluated over the interval [a,b].

Is there an analytic (not numeric) way to evaluate this integral using
for example mean value or similar averaging technique?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think all you need to do is to find [itex]dx[/itex] in terms of [itex]dy[/itex] and then it should be simple since you already have [itex]x[/itex] in terms of [itex]y[/itex], just sub in the integral.

[itex]dx=f'(y)dy[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle\large\therefore \int_a^b \left[\int ydx\right]xdx=\int_a^b \left[\int yf'(y)dy\right]f(y)f'(y)dy[/itex]

You already have the value of the integral [itex]\displaystyle\large\int_a^b ydx=\int_a^b yf'(y)dy[/itex]

I believe (but do not recall) that there is a way to use sort of the "opposite" of the mean value theorem.

Also, if possible, it would simply be easy enough to take [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex]

JulieK said:
I know the value of the following definite integral

[itex]\int_{a}^{b}ydx[/itex]

I also have a realtion

[itex]x=f(y)[/itex]

i.e. x is an explicit function of y but I do not have y as an explicit
function of x. The relation between x and y is generally non linear.

Now I want to get the following definite integral

[itex]\int_{a}^{b}\left[\int ydx\right]xdx[/itex]

i.e. [itex]\int ydx[/itex] multiplied by x evaluated over the interval [a,b].

Is there an analytic (not numeric) way to evaluate this integral using
for example mean value or similar averaging technique?

Your integral is actually:
\begin{aligned}\int_{a}^{b}\left[\int ydx\right]xdx
&=\int_{a}^{b}\left[\int y(\xi) d\xi\right]xdx \\
&= \int_{a}^{b} xdx \cdot \int y(\xi) d\xi \\
&= \frac 1 2(b^2-a^2)\int y(\xi) d\xi \\
&= \frac 1 2(b^2-a^2) \int y dx \\
\end{aligned}

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a graph. It represents the limit of a sum of infinitely many small areas and is denoted by the symbol ∫ (pronounced "integral").

2. How is a definite integral evaluated?

A definite integral is evaluated using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the integrand (the function being integrated) in order to find its antiderivative, or the original function before it was differentiated.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it gives a specific numerical value. An indefinite integral, on the other hand, does not have any limits and represents a family of functions that differ by a constant. Essentially, a definite integral is a single number while an indefinite integral is a set of functions.

4. Why is it important to evaluate definite integrals?

Evaluating definite integrals has many practical applications, such as finding the area under a curve in physics or calculating the amount of work done by a force in calculus. It is also used in various fields of science, engineering, and economics to solve real-world problems and make predictions.

5. What are some common mistakes when evaluating definite integrals?

Some common mistakes when evaluating definite integrals include forgetting to include the constant of integration, incorrectly applying integration rules, and forgetting to account for the limits of integration. It is also important to check for any discontinuities, as they can affect the value of the integral.