Proof of integration power rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of proving the power rule for integration using the definition of a definite integral. It also questions the use of an inequality in the proof and provides a simple example using left hand Riemann sums to demonstrate the power rule for integration. The conversation also mentions the complexity of generalizing the proof for ##x^c##.
acegikmoqsuwy
Hey, I was just wondering if there was a way to prove the power rule for integration using the definition of a definite integral. And I don't mean using the proof for the differentiation power rule, I mean is it possible to derive [itex]\displaystyle\large\int_a^b x^c=\frac{b^{c+1}-a^{c+1}} {c+1}[/itex] using the formula [itex]\displaystyle\large\int_a^b f(x)=\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \sum\limits_{i=1}^n f(x^*_i)\Delta x[/itex] ?

I tried substituting the values for [itex]f(x^*_i)[/itex] and [itex]\Delta x[/itex] without any success.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apostol does it in his book. Section I.23.

Likes 1 person
Hi micromass just want to ask why did apostol used this inequality to prove the integration of power rule? He just suddenly said "We begin with this inequality", I'm confused, why did he use that? And how did he come up with such an inequality (knowing it will work)?

INEQUALITY:
k=1 to k=n-1 ∑k^p < (n^p+1)/(p+1) < k=1 to k=n ∑k^p

Take a simple definite integral like ##f(x)=x## and use simple limits.

##\displaystyle\large\int_0^x f(x) \: dx=\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \sum\limits_{i=1}^n f(x^*_i) \Delta x##

##\displaystyle\large\int_0^x x \: dx=\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \sum\limits_{i=1}^n (x_i) \frac{x}{n}##

##\displaystyle\large\int_0^x x \: dx=\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \frac{x}{n} \sum\limits_{i=1}^n (x_i) ##

Using left hand Reimann sum the width of the next interval is ##x_i = \Delta x \cdot i##

##\displaystyle\large\int_0^x x \: dx=\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \frac{x}{n} \sum\limits_{i=1}^n (\frac{x}{n} \cdot i) ##

##\displaystyle\large\int_0^x x \: dx=\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \frac{x^2}{n^2} \sum\limits_{i=1}^n (i) ##

Use the partial sums formula ## \sum\limits_{i=1}^n (i) = \frac {n (n+1)}{2}##

##\displaystyle\large\int_0^x x \: dx=\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \frac{x^2}{n^2} \cdot \frac{n(n+1)}{2} ##

##\displaystyle\large\int_0^x x \: dx=\lim\limits_{n\to\infty} \frac{ n^2 x^2 + nx^2}{2n^2} ##

##\displaystyle\large\int_0^x x \: dx=\frac {x^2}{2} ##

You can generalize it for ##x^c## but it will be hairier than a gorilla.

What is the power rule for integration?

The power rule for integration states that the integral of x to the power of n is equal to x to the power of n+1 divided by n+1, plus a constant. In mathematical notation, it can be written as ∫xn dx = xn+1 / (n+1) + C.

How do you use the power rule to integrate a polynomial?

To integrate a polynomial using the power rule, first identify the highest power of x in the polynomial. Then, add 1 to that power and divide the polynomial by the new power. For example, to integrate 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 4x + 1, the highest power is 3, so the integral would be (2x^4 / 4) + (5x^3 / 3) + (4x^2 / 2) + x + C.

Can the power rule be used for all types of functions?

No, the power rule can only be used for functions that are in the form of xn, where n is a constant. It cannot be used for functions with more complex expressions, such as exponential or trigonometric functions.

What is the difference between the power rule for integration and the power rule for differentiation?

The power rule for integration and differentiation are inverse operations. The power rule for differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function, while the power rule for integration is used to find the antiderivative or indefinite integral of a function.

Are there any exceptions to the power rule for integration?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the power rule for integration. These include functions with a negative exponent or a fraction exponent. In these cases, the power rule cannot be directly applied and other integration techniques must be used.