A new limit definition of integral?

In summary, the author suggests defining an integral as a limit involving sums of any kind, and then testing it on regular functions. The idea is sound, but could be improved upon by testing it on functions whose derivative is easier to calculate.
EzequielJC
I think i discovered a new way to define an integral, i don't know if it helps in any particular case, but its an idea worth posting i think.
The idea is to define the height of the rectangles based on one single point of the function and then build up the next heights for the other rectangles from the dx of the function.
Im a student of engineering in my first year, so i don't have a very rigorous math based way to show my ideas.
I attached two pictures showing the idea and an example
I tested it on regular functions and it works fine, the idea is to integrate a function from its derivative, maybe this could work for functions whose derivative is easier to calculate right?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 640
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 4,874
Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance, I can't really tell if this is a good definition or not. Have you tried some functions that are not linear? e^x, or 1/x or x^2?

i tried with functions such as x^2 and x^3 and it works perfectly, i don't know how to attack sums involving e^k or 1/n. But the idea is solid, i tried it for definite and indefinite integral and its working. I tried to integrate f(x)=ln(x) using its derivative but i i can't get past the 1/n sum.

Yes, it works. But it is basically the same as doing integration by parts. You have basically just written out a kind of integration by parts in its limit definition. Notice that

[tex](b-a)f(a) + \left(\frac{b-a}{n}\right)^2 \sum_{k=0}^n (n-k)f^\prime\left(a + k\frac{b-a}{n}\right)[/tex]

[tex] = (b-a)f(a) + b \sum_{k=0}^n f^\prime\left(a + k\frac{b-a}{n}\right) \frac{b-a}{n} - \sum_{k=0}^n \left(a + k\frac{b-a}{n}\right) f^\prime\left(a + k\frac{b-a}{n}\right) \frac{b-a}{n}[/tex]

So by taking limits we get

[tex](b-a)f(a) + b\int_a^b f^\prime(x)dx - \int_a^b xf^\prime(x)dx[/tex]
[tex] = (b-a)f(a) + b(f(b) - f(a)) - \int_a^b xf^\prime(x)dx[/tex]
[tex] = bf(b) - af(a) - \int_a^b xf^\prime(x)dx[/tex]

Evaluating the integral by parts gives us

[tex] = bf(b) - af(a) - [bf(b) - af(a)] + \int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex]
[tex] =\int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex]

which is exactly what we want.

Last edited:
And that's why Micro gets paid the big bucks...

I was originally guessing that somehow you were using a Taylor approximation for a function to find the integral of said function, which would work for analytic functions, but I was getting stuck on the fact that no higher order derivatives appear.

Well, for someone that has only seen first semester of calculus class i guess that big deal for me!.
I have seen integration by parts, but i never made the connection. Makes a lot of sense i guess.
I was actually trying to find a way to define the integral as a limit not involving sums of any kind, and then this came up to my mind.
By the way, is there any possibility of defining an integral not involving sums? like the definition of derivative? I hate how complicated some integrals get to be

1. What is the difference between the traditional and new limit definitions of integral?

The traditional definition of integral involves dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and taking the limit as the subinterval widths approach zero. The new limit definition, on the other hand, involves taking the limit as the number of subintervals approaches infinity.

2. How does the new limit definition affect the calculation of integrals?

The new limit definition allows for more complex functions to be integrated, as it does not rely on the function being continuous. It also allows for easier calculation of integrals for functions with infinite discontinuities.

3. What are the advantages of using the new limit definition of integral?

The new limit definition allows for a wider range of functions to be integrated, making it more versatile. It also simplifies the calculation process and provides a more intuitive understanding of the concept of integration.

4. Are there any limitations to the new limit definition of integral?

One limitation is that it may not be suitable for functions with certain types of singularities, such as essential singularities. Additionally, it may not always converge for functions with infinite discontinuities, in which case other methods may be needed.

5. How does the new limit definition relate to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus still holds true for the new limit definition of integral. It states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative and evaluating it at the limits of integration. This remains true regardless of which definition of integral is used.