Well known series and sequences

In summary, the conversation discusses various important and simple sequences such as arithmetic, geometric, harmonic, and hypergeometric. It also mentions the importance of power series and provides examples of exponential and arctangent functions expressed as power series.
fog37
Hello Forum,

I am familiar with the arithmetic sequence (the difference between one entry and the previous one is constant) and the geometric sequence ( the ratio between one entry and the previous one is constant).

are there any other important and simple sequences I should be aware of?

There is also the arithmetic and geometric series. Each one is the summation of terms from the arithmetic and geometric sequences respectively, correct?

thanks
fog37

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say the harmonic one ?

Sure!

The harmonic is another one: 1, 1/2, 1/3, etc...
The reciprocal of terms of a harmonic sequence form an arithmetic sequence. I guess this the principle that allows us to determine if a sequence is harmonic or not, i.e. we take the reciprocals and test if their difference is a constant along the whole sequence...

What about the hypergeometric sequence? Does it exist? I have heard of the hypergeometric series which I presume to be the summation of the terms of a hypergeometric sequence.

Power series in general are quite important and provide many concrete examples. An important one is the exponential function:
$$\exp(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}$$
Evaluating this at ##x=1##, we get a series converging to ##e##:
$$e = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n!}$$
And here's a sequence which also converges to ##e##:
$$e = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left(1 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^n$$
The arctangent can also expressed as a power series:
$$\arctan(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{3} + \frac{x^5}{5} - \frac{x^7}{7} + \cdots$$
Evaluating at ##x=1##, we get
$$\frac{\pi}{4} = 1 - \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{5} - \frac{1}{7} + \cdots$$

Correct me if I'm wrong but the hypergeometric series is also a power series.

1. What is the difference between a series and a sequence?

A series is the sum of the terms in a sequence, while a sequence is a list of numbers in a specific order.

2. What are some well-known series and sequences?

Some well-known series and sequences include the Fibonacci sequence, the arithmetic series, the geometric series, and the harmonic series.

3. How are series and sequences used in mathematics?

Series and sequences are used in mathematics to represent patterns and relationships between numbers. They are also used in calculus to study the behavior of functions and to approximate solutions to equations.

4. What is the convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to whether or not the terms of the series approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. A series can either converge to a specific value, diverge to infinity, or oscillate between different values.

5. How can you determine the convergence of a series?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence of a series, including the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series to determine if they approach a finite value or not.