Line integral in a uniform force field

In summary: In general it doesn't. The notation is just awful and confusing. It's not sloppy, but simply wrong, and the book I would say is not really a good text book. I don't understand why so many people like it.In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of work in a uniform force field using three integrals with respect to dx, dy, and dz. It was noted that the notation used in the book was confusing and not the correct way to approach the problem. The correct approach is to use the definition of the line integral of a vector field and integrate along a chosen path.
Born
I have had some trouble with Kleppner and Kollenkow's derivation of work in a uniform force field. As the attached image shows, all three integrals (with respect to dx, dy, dz) are evaluated as follows: $$\int_{x_a, y_a, z_a} ^ {x_b, y_b, z_b}$$ . I am not sure how to proceed with such limits.

Any help is more than welcome. Thanks!

Attachments

• Kleppner and Kollenkow - Work Done by a Uniform Force.png
    Kleppner and Kollenkow - Work Done by a Uniform Force.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,024
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Born :smile:

So the three integrals each calculate the contribution from each axis to the resultant force. I don't know why they put the limits like that, but you can see it like this: dx ([itex]i[/itex] direction) must go from some x to another x right? In this case [itex] x_{b}-x_{a}[/itex] and the same for he other directions.

Now [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] is just r

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the quick response. It does intuitively make sense to me in the way you've said it, yet it feels weird since I know that after my integrations I would get something that will look like this:

$$x(x_b, y_b, z_b) - x(x_a, y_a, z_a) \text{ (same with}\ y \text{ and}\ z \text{)}$$

$$ \text{How could I show (mathematically) that:}\ x(x_b, y_b, z_b)=x(x_b), x(x_a, y_a, z_a)=x(x_a), \text{ etc?}$$

Born said:
Thank you for the quick response. It does intuitively make sense to me in the way you've said it, yet it feels weird since I know that after my integrations I would get something that will look like this:

$$x(x_b, y_b, z_b) - x(x_a, y_a, z_a) \text{ (same with}\ y \text{ and}\ z \text{)}$$

Something like this actually, $$r_b(x_b, y_b, z_b) - r_a(x_a, y_a, z_a)$$

Born said:
$$ \text{How could I show (mathematically) that:}\ x(x_b, y_b, z_b)=x(x_b), x(x_a, y_a, z_a)=x(x_a), \text{ etc?}$$

I am afraid I don't get you here. Seems you got mixed up? see my above respond. Hopefully it will clear things up.

I got what you said, it just isn't satisfactory. There must be a reason why the limits were given thusly.

[tex]\int_{x_a, y_a, z_a}^{x_b, y_b, z_b} dzdydx[/tex]
is simply shorthand for
[tex]\int_{x_a}^{x_b}\int_{y_a}^{y_b}\int_{z_a}^{z_b} dzdydx[/tex]

It's not a volume integral as suggested in the previous posting but a line integral in a pretty awful notation. The correct way is to say we have a curve [itex]C[/itex], defined, e.g., parametrically as a function [itex]\vec{r}:[0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3[/itex]. Then the line integral of a vector field along the curve [itex]C[/itex] is defined as a simple integral over the parameter:
[tex]\int_{C} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot \vec{V}(\vec{r}):=\int_0^1 \mathrm{d} t \; \frac{\mathrm{d} \vec{r}(t)}{\mathrm{d} t} \cdot V[\vec{r}(t)].[/tex]
Now, sometimes the vector field is "conservative", i.e., the integral doesn't depend on the curve (perhaps restricted to cuves within a certain region of space) but only on the boundary points of the curve. Then you may write the integral in the sloppy way as in the scan of the book.

The specific form of the parametrization chosen is to first integrate from [itex](x_a,y_a,z_a)[/itex] along a straight line parallel to the [itex]x[/itex]-axis to [itex]x_b,y_a,z_a[/itex] and so on.

This is however, unnecessarily complicated. Since the force field is homogeneous in the example, i.e., [itex]\vec{F}(\vec{r})=\text{const}[/itex] you can integrate along any path connecting the two points, because the line integral is path independent anywhere, because it's analytic everywhere and [itex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F}=0[/itex] everywhere. Then according to the Poincare lemma, the line integral is path independent. So we can chose just a straight line connecting the points [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [/itex]\vec{b}[/itex],
[tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{a} + t (\vec{b}-\vec{a}) ,\quad t \in [0,1].[/tex]
This gives
[tex]W_{ba}=\int_0^1 \mathrm{d} t (\vec{b}-\vec{a}) \cdot \vec{F}=(\vec{b}-\vec{a}) \cdot \vec{F},[/tex]
because [itex]\vec{F}=\text{const}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Thank you vanhees71! Now I believe I'm beginning to understand the reasoning behind the notation.

Does this mean that it's just notation as well when the integral is broken up (i.e. dr becomes dx, dy, and dz) and therefore each integral should be treated as a straight line through each of the component's endpoints?

So; $$\int_{x_a} ^ {x_b}\, dx$$

To stress it again: You should really use the definition of the line integral of a vector field as I've written down in my previous posting. The way the integral is done in the book is very misleading. It only works out right, because here you integrate over a constant force field!

What is a line integral in a uniform force field?

A line integral in a uniform force field is a mathematical concept that calculates the work done by a force along a specific path in a uniform force field. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of the uniform force, as well as the distance traveled along the path.

How is a line integral in a uniform force field calculated?

A line integral in a uniform force field is calculated by integrating the dot product of the force vector and the path vector. This means that the force and path must be expressed in vector form, and the dot product of these two vectors is then integrated over the length of the path.

What are the applications of line integrals in uniform force fields?

Line integrals in uniform force fields have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force on an object moving along a specific path, finding the potential energy of a system, and determining the flux of a vector field through a surface.

What is the difference between a conservative and non-conservative force in a uniform force field?

A conservative force in a uniform force field is one where the work done by the force is independent of the path taken, and only depends on the initial and final positions. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, do not have this property and the work done may vary depending on the path taken.

How does a line integral in a uniform force field relate to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the integral of a function can be calculated by evaluating its antiderivative at the boundaries of the integration. This applies to line integrals in uniform force fields because the force vector is the gradient of a scalar potential function, allowing the integral to be evaluated using the fundamental theorem of calculus.