Solving Heat Transfer Using COMSOL for Laser Drilling on Silicon

• Thread starter Skyeagle
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking for help with simulating heat flow on a wire. They have chosen the heat transfer model and are having some issues with syntax.
Skyeagle
Hi guys,

I found this forum by chance. Was wondering if anyone could help out with my problem. I am very new to this COMSOL and I am required to tackle a problem.

I am required to simulate laser drilling onto a material using comsol to obtain the heat transfer pattern. I have chosen silicon in the drop-down box

I used the New>FEM>Heat Transfer>Conduction>Transient Analysis.
I then created a rectangle with 3 sides thermally insulated and the top is having heat flux.

Under Boundary settings, I need to enter the equation in the Q field as the heat source
The equation is like this: (10^7) x exponential (-10^3 x X^2) for a time of 2 seconds.

I keep having syntax errors. How do I put in the equation properly?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Skyeagle,

Comsol syntax is pretty much identical to that of Matlab (well they share plenty of history) ... so for your equation you might try something like:

(10^7)*exp((-10^3)*x^2)*(t<=2)

I'm assuming what you're after with the "x" is a cartesian coordinate (or that is how comsol would interpret from the above)? The "t<=2" evaluates as "1" for t <=2 (assuming your t is in seconds) and 0 otherwise (you can do the same thing with a simple "if" - construct or use several of the other available step - function - lookalikes, if you for example wish to smoothen the transition to 0 value).

PerennialII ,

Thanks for the reply. yup. I got the waveform as per the syntax that you have given. Right now I need to generate the temperature profile which I am facing some problem.

Its not what I am expecting.

Yeah, these often take surprising chunks of time to get them working. Let me know if can try to come up with further pointers.

If you like I can help you out with a simulation in Ansys. Let me know if you want my help.

hi, I am don't no nothing about COMSOL, apart from the using a user guid to make a model and plot a graph.. what i wish to achieve is a wire ( rectangle ) which gives heat at one end and over time the heat eventually transfers over to the other.

Thanks kenn

i think you cn try with the heat transfer using the conduction model to do this...try using tat and contact if u have any doubt

as a complete novis to this software, could you explain to me in a step by step process how to achive a model of heat flow from one end of a wire to another? i would reli appreciate this, as well as a stress flow model as well (where one end increases in tensile stress and the other end increases in compressive stress), many thanks

1. What is COMSOL and how does it relate to heat transfer in laser drilling on silicon?

COMSOL is a multiphysics simulation software that allows for the simulation of various physical phenomena, including heat transfer. In the context of laser drilling on silicon, COMSOL can be used to model and analyze the heat transfer processes involved in the laser drilling process.

2. What factors affect heat transfer during laser drilling on silicon?

The main factors that affect heat transfer during laser drilling on silicon include the laser's power and intensity, the properties of the silicon material (such as its thermal conductivity and melting point), and the cooling mechanisms in place (such as the presence of a heat sink or coolant).

3. How can COMSOL be used to optimize the laser drilling process on silicon?

COMSOL can be used to model different scenarios and parameters, allowing for the optimization of the laser drilling process on silicon. By adjusting variables such as laser power, beam size, and cooling mechanisms, COMSOL can help determine the most efficient and effective way to drill through silicon.

4. Can COMSOL be used to simulate the entire laser drilling process on silicon?

Yes, COMSOL can be used to simulate the entire laser drilling process on silicon, from the initial heating of the material to the final cooling and solidification stage. This allows for a comprehensive analysis of the heat transfer processes and their impact on the final result.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from using COMSOL to solve heat transfer in laser drilling on silicon?

The accuracy of the results obtained from using COMSOL to solve heat transfer in laser drilling on silicon depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made in the simulation. However, COMSOL has been extensively validated and is widely used in the scientific community, making it a reliable tool for heat transfer analysis in laser drilling on silicon.