I've have to give a talk for our maths society. Topic suggestions?

In summary, a first year Ph.D student in mathematics has been asked to give a talk for the university maths society. They are considering discussing their area of study, Vertex Operator Algebras, but are concerned about the technicality and possible loss of audience interest. They also consider talking about a classic maths problem or the history and motivations behind their area of study. The conversation concludes with suggestions to prepare for potential technical questions and to explore the complicated nature of VOA definitions.
Tom Gilroy
Hi everybody,

I'm a first year Ph.D student in mathematics and I've been asked to give an hour long talk for the university maths society. Speakers have the choice to talk about just about anything maths related, however the focus of most talks is usually the discussion of a classic maths problem (like Bachet's weighing problem, for example) or the speaker will give an introduction to the area they study (or another area they have become interested in), or they may possibly discuss a recent result in their own research.

I could give an introductory talk about the area I study (Vertex Operator Algebras), however, the basic definitions and axioms are quite long and involved, and the simplest non-trivial example also has quite a long construction. I'm not sure I could get through the basic terminology, definitions and an example in the hour and do so at a pace where the audience has time to digest and absorb the concepts. Also, the subject involves a lot of formal series, and I think some might lose interest just at the sight of them.

I think a discussion of a classic problem might make for an overall more enjoyable talk, but I'm at a loss for ideas. Ideally, I'd like to discuss something where the basic question is very easy to understand, the maths gets more involved and I have time to discuss the attempts to date if it's an open problem, or to outline the resolution if it has been solved.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Does it have to be technical?
Could you perhaps, prepare a historical treatise upon say, operator algebras in general, what motivated the formulation, what types of uses it has shown itself capable and so on?

Actually no, it doesn't have to be technical at all, and that's a pretty good idea. The motivations for the formulation of Vertex Operator Algebras is quite an interesting story, and they've been a tremendously important tool in mathematics and physics in the last 25 years.

My only concern is that some might feel at the end of such a discussion people would want to know more about the technicalities.

Tom Gilroy said:
My only concern is that some might feel at the end of such a discussion people would want to know more about the technicalities.
Well, and why can't you prepare some technical answers to your "concluding" question "Any questions?".

That is, reflect over what sort of technical issues might be raised on basis of your speech, and prepare appropriate answers, or at least sources of reference you might give the interested person.

Another, rather more technical topic could be to develop an answer to the question:
"Why are the definitions in VOA so complicated?"

After all, although I know nothing about VOA, I would think it started out as a cool idea that seemed simple enough.
But that when the exploration began, the topic was seen to be a logical minefield with numerous pitfalls and unfortunate explosions.
Thus, the winding path to today's definition has been one of trial and error that could be interesting to look at.
Not the least some of the spectacular errors made at the beginning.

Thank you, those are both excellent ideas.

1. What are some interesting topics for a math society talk?

Some interesting topics for a math society talk could include: the history of mathematics, the applications of math in everyday life, the beauty of mathematical concepts and theories, famous mathematicians and their contributions, and the future of mathematics and its potential impact on society.

2. How do I choose a topic for my math society talk?

When choosing a topic for your math society talk, consider your audience and their level of understanding of mathematics. You can also think about current events or popular topics in mathematics that may be of interest to your audience. Additionally, consider your own interests and expertise in a particular area of mathematics.

3. Can I give a talk on a complex mathematical topic?

Yes, you can give a talk on a complex mathematical topic, but it's important to make sure your audience can follow along. Consider breaking down the topic into smaller, more manageable concepts and providing visual aids to help explain difficult concepts. You can also provide additional resources for those who are interested in diving deeper into the topic.

4. How long should my math society talk be?

The length of your math society talk will depend on the specific guidelines and expectations set by your group. Generally, talks can range from 30 minutes to an hour, with some time for questions and discussion at the end. It's important to stay within the allotted time and practice your presentation beforehand to ensure you can cover all the key points in the given time frame.

5. Can I incorporate interactive activities into my math society talk?

Yes, incorporating interactive activities into your math society talk can be a great way to engage your audience and make the concepts more relatable. Consider using games, puzzles, or real-life examples to illustrate mathematical concepts and encourage audience participation. Just make sure the activities are relevant to your topic and don't take up too much time.