Solving Simple Relativity: Time, Speed Reduction & More

• Thread starter hansbahia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses two balls traveling towards each other in frame S at the speed of c/2, with a distance of 150x10^8m between them. Part a) asks for the time it takes for the balls to reach each other, which is calculated by t=d/v. Part b) asks for the speed at which the distance between the objects is decreasing, which is simply the sum of their speeds. Part c) discusses the same scenario but in a different frame of reference, where one ball is at rest. The correct equation to use here is not the Lorentz transformation, but rather considering the different initial space-time coordinates of the balls. Finally, part d) asks a similar question, but with
hansbahia
In frame S, two balls are traveling along the x-axis directly to each other, both have the same speed c/2. They are 150x10^8m apart. being that c=3x10^8ms^-1
a) in frameS, how long does it take to reach each other?
b) given the answer to a), at what speed is the distance between the
objects decreasing?
c) one objects is at the rest frmae, how long does it take the objects to reach each other if thery are 150x10^8m apart?
d)Now in frame S the two objects are again going towards each other, but now with different speed (v,u). They start "d" away from each other?
In the same frame, how long do they take to reach each other?

The way I solved this problem was
a) v=d/t, therefore t=d/v, so i plugged in (150x10^8/2)/(c/2)
b) I'm struggling. In this case i wrote down c, because is asking the whole distance so i just added both speeds (c/2+c/2). Am i right? can someone explain in details
c)since it's a frame in rest and the other moving I used t'=γ(t-(v/c^2)x) and i plugged in the numbers since i know t,distace(150x10^8) and v(c/2).
d) I'm lost. I know that if my b is correct the speed is going to decrease by that amount but then how should I approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
hansbahia said:
The way I solved this problem was
a) v=d/t, therefore t=d/v, so i plugged in (150x10^8/2)/(c/2)
b) I'm struggling. In this case i wrote down c, because is asking the whole distance so i just added both speeds (c/2+c/2). Am i right? can someone explain in details

You've done part a) correctly. You are also correct with part b). It is simple addition (as you've done), because it is all within one frame of reference. You would only have to use a complicated formula if you were using velocities in different frames of reference.

hansbahia said:
c) one objects is at the rest frmae, how long does it take the objects to reach each other if thery are 150x10^8m apart?

This question is a bit more difficult. To start with, is it supposed to represent the same system as before, just according to a different frame of reference? Also, with respect to what frame of reference are they 150x10^8m apart? Is it this reference frame?

Yes "is it supposed to represent the same system as before, now according to a different frame of reference". The question is the same as how long does it take the objects to reach each other if they start 150x10^8m apart in the frame rest frame of one of the objects. I just assumed they were different frames I used Lorentz equation for t'.

You shouldn't be using Lorentz transformation. The time difference for part c) is not just a Lorentz transform of the time difference for part a). This is because the events representing the 'initial' space-time coordinates of the balls are different for parts a) and c). In other words, its not just a change of frame of reference; we are also talking about different events.

There is another equation you should use. In the rest frame, you know one ball is stationary, so what do you need to find out about the other ball to get the answer?

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It was first introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative speeds.

2. How does relativity affect time?

Relativity states that time is not absolute, but is instead relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to pass differently for different observers depending on their relative speeds. For example, time appears to slow down for objects that are moving at high speeds, as observed from a stationary frame of reference.

3. How does relativity affect speed?

Relativity also affects the way we perceive speed. According to relativity, the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative speeds. This means that if an object is moving at close to the speed of light, its perceived speed will be different for different observers, depending on their relative speeds.

4. What is time dilation in relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity, where time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that time appears to pass differently for different observers, depending on their relative speeds. It has been experimentally confirmed in various experiments, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

5. Can relativity be applied to everyday life?

While the effects of relativity may not be noticeable in our everyday lives, it is a fundamental concept in modern physics and is essential for understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds. It has practical applications in fields such as GPS navigation, where the effects of relativity must be taken into account for accurate measurements.