Help with Physics - Object submerged, displacement, density, pressure?

In summary: So the total pressure due to the weight of the water and the air above it would be 41.225 kPa.For problem 1, Bruce is right. The g value in the book is 9.8 m/s2, while the value on the site is 10 m/s2. So the difference in answers is due to the different g values.For problem 2, the volume of 1 liter of water would be 1000mL.For problem 3, the equation for pressure with depth is P=pgh. So to get the variation of pressure with depth, you need to find P and g and solve for h.
bpears
I have a few physics problems I need help with. Please show work or I won't know how to do it. My book has no example problems.

1. Suppose you balance a 5kg ball on the tip of your finger, which has an area of 1 cm^2. Show that the pressure on your finger is 49N/cm^2, which is 490kPa.

-For this question I get 500kPa, where is the -10kPa coming from?

2. 6kg piece of metal displaces 1 Liter of water when submerged. Show that the density is 6000kg/m^3

3. Deepest part of a lake has depth of 406m. Show that water pressure at this depth is 3978.8 kPa, and the total pressure there is 4080.1 kPa.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bpears said:
I have a few physics problems I need help with. Please show work or I won't know how to do it. My book has no example problems.

1. Suppose you balance a 5kg ball on the tip of your finger, which has an area of 1 cm^2. Show that the pressure on your finger is 49N/cm^2, which is 490kPa.

-For this question I get 500kPa, where is the -10kPa coming from?

How about YOU show your work? Then we can show you where you went wrong.

We're not just going to give you fully worked out solutions.

Yeah, well I don't even know where to begin. I can tell it is simple but I don't know what I need to do. If you honestly believe I'm just trying to have u do my home work, then use different numbers. I just want to know HOW to do these. Thanks.

bpears said:
Yeah, well I don't even know where to begin. I can tell it is simple but I don't know what I need to do. If you honestly believe I'm just trying to have u do my home work, then use different numbers. I just want to know HOW to do these. Thanks.

I meant show us your work for the specific problem that I quoted. How did you arrive at 500 kPa? If you show me your steps, I can tell you where you made your mistake.

For problem 2: What must the volume of the 1 L of displaced water be equal to?

For problem 3: what is the equation for the variation of pressure with depth?

THere is a reason why this site has a template for homework help posts that includes a complete statement of of the problem, a list of any *relevant equations*, and the work you've done so far. The second item, in particular gets you thinking about what physical relationships and principles are important to the problem.

Last edited:
I second the stuff cepheid said. Also, for question 1, it looks like bpears has used g=10m/s^2 and the answer book used g=9.8m/s^2, so the difference in answers is only due to using different values for g.

Bruce, you are spot on. My instructor tells us to just use 10m/s^2 for gravity. Which I now see was a bad idea for our book. So, I get the 1st one. But the other two, I don't know how to do.

For number 2, I see that if it displaces 1L, then it must have the volume of 1L? And its safe to assume that the 1000 is multiplied by 6kg, but where does the L unit go? And what formula are you supposed to use on this?

For number 3, I know P=pgh. so P=p(9.8m/s^2)(406m)
Which without multiplying the density I get the 3978.8kPa. But I don't know why? What about density(p)? And then I don't know how to get total pressure of 4080.1kPa?

For number 2, use the DEFINITION of density to compute the density.

for part 3) you need to look up the density of water.

BruceW said:
for part 3) you need to look up the density of water.

To elaborate on this, I should point out that you most certainly
are not getting 3978.8 kPa right now, with your calculation. You are getting 3978.8 m2/s2 which is certainly not in units of pascals. You must pay attention to units.

If you're wondering why multiplying by the density seemingly doesn't change the numerical value of the answer, then consider this: what is the density of water in SI units? So, what numerical value would you be multiplying by?

What factor would you then divide the answer by to convert from Pa to kPa?

As far as the total density goes you have to take into account not only the pressure due to the weight of the column of water above the lake bottom, but also the pressure due the weight of the column of *air* above that.

In other words, the surface pressure is not 0.

yes, I just read through bpears answer more carefully, and realized it didn't make sense. By wishful thinking, it looks like he jumped past the step of multiplying by density.

Ok, so for number 2, density=mass/volume. I found the volume of a Liter of water is 1m^3. So, then I get 6kg/m^3. How does the book get 6000kg/m^3?

And for 3, I got the 1st part but I don't know how to get total pressure?

Last edited:
bpears said:
Ok, so for number 2, density=mass/volume. I found the volume of a Liter of water is 1m^3. So, then I get 6kg/m^3. How does the book get 6000kg/m^3?

Because 1 L ≠ 1 m3. (One litre is NOT equal to one cubic metre).

This should be obvious, if you've ever seen a one-litre carton of milk, then you know that it is not as big as a cubical box that measures one metre on each side! Then again, maybe product volumes are typically given in imperial units where you live, in which case you might not have a good intuition for metric ones.

The thing I usually remember for converting this particular non-standard unit (the litre) is that
1 mL = 1 cm3.

Also, anticipating future questions you might have: you have to be careful when converting units of volume. It can be tricky. For example, you might naively think that 1 m3 = 100 cm3. This is FALSE. In fact:

1 m3 = (1 m)3 = (100 cm)3 = 100*100*100 cm3 = 1,000,000 cm3.

One cubic metre is a million cubic centimetres. That's an algebraic way to arrive at the answer. A geometric way to visualize this is that if you have a volume of 1 m3, that means you have a cube that is one metre on each side, i.e. its dimensions are (1 m) x (1 m) x (1 m). So the dimensions of this cube in centimetres is 100 cm on each side, or (100 cm) x (100 cm) x (100 cm), and the volume in cubic centimetres is this product, which works out to 1,000,000 cm3. In other words, if you have a small cube that is 1 cm on each side, then a million of these cubes, arranged in a 3D grid of 100 x 100 x 100, will fit inside a larger cube that is 1 m on each side.

1. What is the difference between object submerged and displacement?

The term "object submerged" refers to an object that is fully or partially submerged in a fluid, while displacement refers to the amount of fluid that is displaced by an object when it is submerged. In other words, displacement is the volume of fluid that is "pushed aside" by the object.

2. How is density related to an object submerged in a fluid?

Density is the mass per unit volume of a substance. When an object is submerged in a fluid, it displaces a volume of fluid that is equal to its own volume. Therefore, the density of the object must be less than the density of the fluid in order for it to float. If the object's density is greater than the fluid's density, it will sink.

3. How is the pressure on an object submerged in a fluid affected?

The pressure on an object submerged in a fluid is affected by the depth of the object and the density of the fluid. The deeper the object is submerged, the greater the pressure it experiences due to the weight of the fluid above it. Additionally, the pressure increases with an increase in fluid density.

4. How can I calculate the pressure on an object submerged in a fluid?

The pressure on an object submerged in a fluid can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the object. This formula is known as Pascal's law and is based on the principle that pressure is transmitted equally in all directions in a fluid.

5. What is the Archimedes' principle and how is it related to objects submerged in a fluid?

The Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This means that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that would occupy the same volume as the object. This principle is important in understanding the behavior of objects submerged in a fluid, particularly in determining whether an object will float or sink.