• Thread starter CaptFirePanda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of adding an avatar to a user's profile on the forum. It is revealed that only Gold members have the option to add an avatar, and there are multiple ways to become a Gold member. The benefits of upgrading to Gold membership are also mentioned, including no ads and various customization options. Finally, one of the users expresses their support for the forum and the value of becoming a Gold member.
CaptFirePanda
Looking through my Control Panel, I don;t see an option to add an avatar (just a profile picture). I notice others have them, so I'm wondering if I missed the tab (likely) or if there is a certain posting/membership requirement (also likely)?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to upgrade your membership on the forums. This gives you a few added extras like being able to have an avatar.

https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php

Last edited by a moderator:
CaptFirePanda said:
Looking through my Control Panel, I don;t see an option to add an avatar (just a profile picture). I notice others have them, so I'm wondering if I missed the tab (likely) or if there is a certain posting/membership requirement (also likely)?

Thanks in advance!
You have to be a Gold member. Either by upgrading (the link is at the top of the page), or through the PF Proliferation offer. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338366

Ah! Thanks for pointing that out, megin (and Evo)! I had missed that contributions bit.

It all depends. The site does seem quite promising and if I grow attached to it, I think it definitely would be worth it (if only to help maintain a resource).

Also, the Proliferation thingamajoob is a nice option for those that find it a little steep.

megin said:
Do you think all that is worth 12 bucks?
Not only do you get an avatar but also no ads, recognition graphic, set invisible, custom title, signature, profile photo, 200pm limit, who's online, user notes, boolean searching...

I know :) That's why I said "all that".

Just Go Gold! It's a good deal if you use this forum very often.

Last edited:
Ryan_m_b said:
Not only do you get an avatar but also no ads, recognition graphic, set invisible, custom title, signature, profile photo, 200pm limit, who's online, user notes, boolean searching...

And best of all: you get to support this forum!

micromass said:
And best of all: you get to support this forum!
:biggrin:

megin said:
Do you think all that is worth 12 bucks?

Much more.

1. What are avatars?

Avatars are digital representations of individuals used in various virtual platforms, such as social media, video games, and virtual reality environments. They can take on a variety of forms, ranging from realistic human-like figures to animated characters or symbols.

2. How are avatars created?

Avatars can be created using a variety of methods, including 3D modeling software, motion capture technology, or even by customizing pre-made templates. Some platforms also allow users to upload their own images to use as avatars.

3. What is the purpose of avatars?

The purpose of avatars varies depending on the platform and the individual. In social media, they may be used as profile pictures to represent the user. In video games, they serve as the player's character. In virtual reality environments, they can enhance the sense of immersion and allow users to interact with the virtual world.

4. Can avatars be personalized?

Yes, avatars can be personalized in many ways, such as choosing their appearance, clothing, and accessories. Some platforms also allow users to customize their avatars' movements and behaviors.

5. Are avatars only used for entertainment purposes?

No, avatars have many practical uses as well. They can be used in training simulations, virtual meetings and conferences, and even as assistants or customer service representatives in chatbots. Avatars can also help individuals with disabilities to navigate virtual environments.