Largest x for which an equation is true

• Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
And the word "value" should really be "element".So it is correct to say "If the solution set of the equation A(x) = B(x) has infinitely many elements, then there is not necessarily a largest element."In summary, the conversation discussed the use of mathematical notation to express the largest x for which an equation is true. The suggested notation included using set builder notation and the max operator to represent the largest real number x for which A(x) = B(x). It was also noted that this notation is recognized in mainstream mathematics and can be used for both finite and infinite solution sets.
Cinitiator

Homework Statement

How to use mathematical notation to express the largest x for which an equation is true?

For example, how to express the largest x for which A(x) = B(x)? I need to be able to give the instruction to find the largest x for which A(x) = B(x) is true, but I wonder if it can be written down in a more algebraic manner, instead of relying purely on language.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

-

Physics news on Phys.org
Cinitiator said:

Homework Statement

How to use mathematical notation to express the largest x for which an equation is true?

For example, how to express the largest x for which A(x) = B(x)? I need to be able to give the instruction to find the largest x for which A(x) = B(x) is true, but I wonder if it can be written down in a more algebraic manner, instead of relying purely on language.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

-

max{x [itex]\in[/itex] R : A(x) = B(x)}

In words, this repesents the largest real number x for which A(x) = B(x). You didn't say, but I'm assuming you mean real number values.

Typically, this would be a set with a finite number of values in it, of which you want the largest. If the solution set of the equation A(x) = B(x) has infinitely members, there won't be a largest value.

Mark44 said:
max{x [itex]\in[/itex] R : A(x) = B(x)}

In words, this repesents the largest real number x for which A(x) = B(x). You didn't say, but I'm assuming you mean real number values.

Typically, this would be a set with a finite number of values in it, of which you want the largest. If the solution set of the equation A(x) = B(x) has infinitely members, there won't be a largest value.

Thanks a lot for your input.

How is the type of notation which is used in this case called? What branch of mathematics does it belong to (especially the max operator)? Formal logic?

[itex]\{x\in R: A(x)= B(x)\}[itex] is "set buider notation". It specifices the set of all real numbers, x, such that A(x)= B(x). And the "max" in front is an operator that returns the largest member of the set.

HallsofIvy said:
[itex]\{x\in R: A(x)= B(x)\}[itex] is "set buider notation". It specifices the set of all real numbers, x, such that A(x)= B(x). And the "max" in front is an operator that returns the largest member of the set.

Thanks for your input.

Is there any documentation of the max operator? Is it recognized in the mainstream mathematics?

Cinitiator said:
Thanks for your input.

Is there any documentation of the max operator? Is it recognized in the mainstream mathematics?
You are way overthinking this. When applied to a set for which it makes sense (finite set of elements that have an inherent ordering), the max of the set is the largest element.

This is well known in mathematics.

Putting on my moderator hat: You now have three or four threads, all asking more-or-less the same question. Do not start a new thread on this same subject.

Mark44 said:
Sorry for butting in, but did you actually mean to say that?

What if the solution set was:

[itex]\{ x \in \mathbb{R} : 0 \leq x \leq 1 \}[/itex]

or

[itex]\{ n \in \mathbb{Z} : n \leq 0 \}[/itex]

to take two very simple examples?

These two sets both have infinitely many members, but they each have a largest value (1 and 0, respectively).

Apologies if I have misunderstood.

Mark44 said:
If the solution set of the equation A(x) = B(x) has infinitely members, there won't be a largest value.

oay said:
Sorry for butting in, but did you actually mean to say that?

What if the solution set was:

[itex]\{ x \in \mathbb{R} : 0 \leq x \leq 1 \}[/itex]

or

[itex]\{ n \in \mathbb{Z} : n \leq 0 \}[/itex]

to take two very simple examples?

These two sets both have infinitely many members, but they each have a largest value (1 and 0, respectively).

Apologies if I have misunderstood.

Thanks for correcting me - you're absolutely right. I was thinking in terms of solutions to various kinds of equations, where the solutions are discrete, and didn't consider the possibility of a solution set that was bounded interval.

Mark44 said:
I was thinking in terms of solutions to various kinds of equations, where the solutions are discrete, and didn't consider the possibility of a solution set that was bounded interval.
Strange reply, but I'm sure you know what you're talking about! :smile:

oay said:
Strange reply, but I'm sure you know what you're talking about! :smile:

The correct correction is: An infinite set of reals does not necessarily have a largest element. Of course some sets of reals do have a largest element.

1. What does "largest x for which an equation is true" mean?

When an equation is given, it typically has a variable (usually represented by x) that can have different values. The largest x for which the equation is true refers to the highest value of x that satisfies the equation and makes it a true statement.

2. How do you determine the largest x for which an equation is true?

To determine the largest x for which an equation is true, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. By plugging in different values for x and solving the equation, you can find the largest value that satisfies the equation.

3. Is there always a largest x for which an equation is true?

No, there may not always be a largest x for which an equation is true. It depends on the equation and the values of the variables involved. Some equations may have infinite solutions, while others may have no solutions at all.

4. Can the largest x for which an equation is true be a negative number?

Yes, the largest x for which an equation is true can be a negative number. This is especially true for equations involving exponents or logarithms, where the variable can have a range of both positive and negative values.

5. How is finding the largest x for which an equation is true useful in scientific research?

Finding the largest x for which an equation is true can be useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows researchers to determine the maximum and minimum values of a variable in a certain system or experiment, which can help in making predictions and drawing conclusions.