How to Calculate Intensity in Airy Disk from a Point Source?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of light intensity in different sections of a 2D Airy disk from a point source. The speaker is unsure how to calculate this and asks for good sources. Another person suggests using Bessel functions and provides a suggestion for finding online calculators. The original speaker thanks them for the suggestion.
Drakkith
Mentor
I'm trying to figure out the intensity of light in different sections of a 2d airy disk from a point source, but I'm not sure how to calculate it. Does anyone have any good sources?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk#Mathematical_details

You need to be able to calculate values of Bessel functions. I've seen online Bessel function calculators... try a Google search for them.

Thanks Jtbell. I actually found that about an hour or so after I posted lol.
I'll look up that Bessel Function calculator, thanks for suggesting it.

What is the "Intensity Within Airy Disk"?

The "Intensity Within Airy Disk" refers to the pattern of light produced by a point source of light when it is passed through a circular aperture. The resulting pattern is known as an Airy disk, and the intensity within this disk is the concentration of light at different distances from the center of the disk.

How is the "Intensity Within Airy Disk" calculated?

The intensity within an Airy disk is calculated using the equation I = I0 (J1(x)/x)2, where I0 is the intensity at the center of the disk, J1 is a Bessel function, and x is the distance from the center of the disk.

What factors affect the "Intensity Within Airy Disk"?

The intensity within an Airy disk can be affected by several factors, including the size of the aperture, the wavelength of the light passing through it, and any aberrations in the optics of the system. Additionally, the intensity can be affected by atmospheric conditions and the quality of the detector used to measure the light.

Why is the "Intensity Within Airy Disk" important in astronomy?

The "Intensity Within Airy Disk" is important in astronomy because it determines the resolving power of a telescope. The smaller the Airy disk, the higher the resolution of the telescope, allowing for the detection of smaller and more distant objects in the sky.

How is the "Intensity Within Airy Disk" used in practical applications?

The "Intensity Within Airy Disk" is used in practical applications such as microscopy, where it is used to determine the resolution of a microscope. It is also used in laser technology, where it helps determine the spot size of a laser beam. Additionally, it is used in astronomy to calculate the size and distance of celestial objects.