Register to reply

Whats the best statistics software?

by regisz90
Tags: software, statistics
Share this thread:
regisz90
Jun12-12, 10:17 AM
P: 17
I need a software for statistics, so it should make plots, fitting curves on points, calculate the uncertainty of measurement etc.
Which software do you recommend?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
NemoReally
Jun12-12, 11:49 AM
P: 194
Quote Quote by regisz90 View Post
I need a software for statistics, so it should make plots, fitting curves on points, calculate the uncertainty of measurement etc.
Which software do you recommend?
Try R - http://www.r-project.org/

For a more general purpose application, and depending upon the level of stats you wish to get into, then there are many potentially suitable applications such as Mathcad (the one I use preferentially), Mathlab, Mathematica, Maple or even Excel \ Open Office.

Or, keeping with the single letter choice from the alphabet soup of programming language name, try J - http://www.jsoftware.com/ a very powerful and concise(!) vector programming language.
gsal
Jun13-12, 12:47 PM
P: 873
You mean, other than the 2 big dogs in the block? SPSS and SAS. These two are good, fully documented, supported and expensive.

Then there is R.

Then, there are programming languages where you do the work and possibly statistical toolboxes like a combination of python, scipy.stats and matplotlib.

Antiphon
Jun13-12, 08:52 PM
P: 1,781
Whats the best statistics software?

Industrial users often run Minitab.
micromass
Jun13-12, 09:03 PM
Mentor
P: 18,038
I would try R if I were you. It's totally free and is quite popular. Other statistics software can get quite expensive.

Register to reply