Whats the best statistics software?

In summary, there are several options for statistics software, including R, Mathcad, Mathlab, Mathematica, Maple, Excel/Open Office, J, SPSS, SAS, and Minitab. However, R is a popular and free option that may be worth trying. Other options may be more expensive and may require some programming knowledge.
regisz90
I need a software for statistics, so it should make plots, fitting curves on points, calculate the uncertainty of measurement etc.
Which software do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
regisz90 said:
I need a software for statistics, so it should make plots, fitting curves on points, calculate the uncertainty of measurement etc.
Which software do you recommend?
Try R - http://www.r-project.org/

For a more general purpose application, and depending upon the level of stats you wish to get into, then there are many potentially suitable applications such as Mathcad (the one I use preferentially), Mathlab, Mathematica, Maple or even Excel \ Open Office.

Or, keeping with the single letter choice from the alphabet soup of programming language name, try J - http://www.jsoftware.com/ a very powerful and concise(!) vector programming language.

You mean, other than the 2 big dogs in the block? SPSS and SAS. These two are good, fully documented, supported and expensive.

Then there is R.

Then, there are programming languages where you do the work and possibly statistical toolboxes like a combination of python, scipy.stats and matplotlib.

Industrial users often run Minitab.

I would try R if I were you. It's totally free and is quite popular. Other statistics software can get quite expensive.

1. What are the top statistics software available?

The top statistics software available are SAS, SPSS, R, STATA, and MATLAB.

2. How do I determine which statistics software is best for my needs?

The best way to determine which statistics software is best for your needs is to identify your specific research or data analysis goals and compare the features and capabilities of each software to see which one best meets your requirements.

3. Is there a free statistics software available?

Yes, there are free statistics software available such as R, PSPP, and JASP. However, they may have limited features and may require some coding knowledge.

4. Which statistics software is most user-friendly?

This can vary depending on the user's experience and preferences. However, some of the most user-friendly statistics software include SPSS, SAS, and STATA, which have a user-friendly interface and offer point-and-click options for data analysis.

5. Can I use multiple statistics software for my research?

Yes, it is common for researchers to use multiple statistics software for their research, as different software may have different strengths and can be used for different types of analyses. However, it is important to ensure consistency in the data and results when using multiple software.