Register to reply

Interested in hydrology/hydrogeology. What do I do next?

Share this thread:
intelart
Jul12-12, 05:06 PM
P: 2
I am a college sophomore who has recently changed her major from Music to Physics.I'm planning on helping a professor with his research in acoustics in the fall. Right now, I want to at least explore the fields of hydrology and hydrogeology, but I don't know where to start.

My college has an environmental science program. While it does have a few geology classes and the major has a good dose of science, I'm not sure if they would know what to do with a physics major. I've already done plenty of online research (ie. Google) and found some research programs I could apply for, but I want to wait a year until I have some more physics coursework under my belt.

So if anyone can recommend a good introductory book, or places to look for job shadowing, or any other way, I can explore this field before I go off to get a Master's?

P.S. How is funding for hydrology grad students? Do students usually get some sort of assistantship or am I likely looking at more loans?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
jbrussell93
Jul13-12, 10:17 AM
P: 365
I was in a similar situation a semester or two ago with geophysics (which I believe hydrology can be grouped with). I do not know a lot about hydrology research, but what I do know is that much of it is housed in the geology/geophysics departments. I figure you probably know this already but you did not make it absolutely clear in your post. I would suggest looking in the geology department at your school and talking with a professor about the research going on. I know of physics students doing geophysics research in the geology department at my school. As far as funding for graduates in hydrology research, I would assume it is similar to other branches of geophysics which is typically pretty good from what I hear. Generally, if you have to take out loans for grad school then you are at the wrong institution.

Good Luck!
intelart
Jul13-12, 04:13 PM
P: 2
Thanks!

and when i mean grad school, I meant a Master's degree. I realized that many people see "grad school" and "doctorate" as synonyms, so I thought I'd clarify.

Register to reply