Laplace Transform of the product of two functions

In summary, the Laplace transform of e^-at f(t) is equal to the Laplace transform of f(t) with s replaced by s+a. This can be used to solve the problem given in the conversation.
member 392791
Hello,

I am trying to figure out in my notes how my professor did

L[(e^-3t)(sin2t)] = 2/(s+3)^2 +4

I think she just did it in her head and wrote it, so I don't actually know how to solve it. I am looking at my table of laplace transforms and there is none for a product of an exponential and sin/cos.

I tried solving this with the definition, and I came across a integration by parts that looks particularly nasty, not even sure if solvable.

Anyways, can anyone point me in the right direction to this one? I know the product of a laplace transforms is not the laplace of the products, so that's out.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're over-thinking it. If ##\tilde{f}(s)## is the Laplace transform of ##f(t)## then
##\mathcal{L}({e^{-at}f(t)}) = \int_0^\infty e^{-st} \, e^{-at} \, f(t) \, dt = \int_0^\infty e^{-(s+a)t}\,f(t)\,dt = \tilde{f}(s+a)##

I know that one, but then I get a cos and exponential in the same integral, and I don't think there is a good way to go about solving that, right?

Excuse me for not knowing latex..but what are you saying is f(t)? Just the sin2t, or the entire thing? Then once you get there..is that thing solved by parts? If so, I got it and it looks really nasty to solve..not eloquent

Woopydalan said:
I know that one, but then I get a cos and exponential in the same integral, and I don't think there is a good way to go about solving that, right?

Of course there is, every first year calculus course covers Euler's formula.

Excuse me for not knowing latex..but what are you saying is f(t)? Just the sin2t, or the entire thing?

##f(t) = \sin 2t## so ##\tilde{f}(s) = \frac{2}{s^2+2^2}##.
Also ##a = 3##.

Then once you get there..is that thing solved by parts? If so, I got it and it looks really nasty to solve..not eloquent

This is why I'm saying you are over-thinking it. Write out the definition of the Laplace transform, and replace "s" with "s+a".

Edit:
Wait a sec. Do understand either of the following:
  1. The Laplace transform of sin ωt is equal to ω/(s^2 + ω^2).
  2. The Laplace transform of e^{-at}f(t) is equal to ##\tilde{f}(s+a)##.

Last edited:
Ok allow me to go about this

L[f(t)] = ∫e^-st f(t)dt

f(t) = e^(-3t)sin(2t)

∫e^-(st) e^(-3t)sin(2t) dt
=∫e^-[(s+3)t]sin(2t)dt

At this point I am not seeing how to solve that integral

The problem has two parts that are proved separately: the sine and the phase shift. Please read my edit in post 4. Do you understand how to do one or the other?

I understand 1, but not sure about 2. In fact I definitely don't understand 2

Okay, you know the definition of the Laplace:
##\tilde{f}(s) = \int_0^\infty e^{-st} \, f(t) \, dt##
Then replacing "s" with "s+a" we have
##\tilde{f}(s+a) = \int_0^\infty e^{-(s+a)t} \, f(t) \, dt##
Does that make sense?

yes, got it

1. What is the Laplace Transform of the product of two functions?

The Laplace Transform of the product of two functions is a mathematical operation that transforms a time-domain function into a frequency-domain function. It is denoted by L{f(t)g(t)} and is defined as the integral of the product of f(t) and g(t) with respect to time, multiplied by the exponential function e-st, where s is a complex variable.

2. How is the Laplace Transform of the product of two functions calculated?

The Laplace Transform of the product of two functions is calculated using the following formula: L{f(t)g(t)} = ∫0 f(t)g(t)e-st dt. This integral can be evaluated using various techniques, such as integration by parts or partial fraction decomposition.

3. What are the properties of the Laplace Transform of the product of two functions?

Some properties of the Laplace Transform of the product of two functions include linearity, time-shifting, scaling, and convolution. These properties allow for the transformation of more complex functions and help in solving differential equations.

4. Can the Laplace Transform of the product of two functions be applied to any two functions?

No, the Laplace Transform of the product of two functions can only be applied to functions that satisfy certain conditions, such as being piecewise continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities. It is important to check the validity of these conditions before applying the Laplace Transform.

5. What is the significance of the Laplace Transform of the product of two functions in engineering and physics?

The Laplace Transform of the product of two functions is widely used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems. It allows for the transformation of time-domain functions into the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems. It also has applications in areas such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis.