Register to reply

Is my background too weak to study superconductivity?

Share this thread:
kczFI
Nov21-13, 12:49 PM
P: 1
Hi everyone,

I tried to study BCS theory but got stuck, here are my notes:

I have a civil engineering degree but now I am doing a master course in physics. I know most of the undergraduate level physics including modern physics (base on Young and Freedman's book), although I cannot say I am very good at them.

Now I am preparing for my master thesis, I want to get a thorough understanding of BCS but the experience is miserable - not only the physics but also the maths are over my head, is my background really too weak for studying this? Is it necessary for me to take some "introductory" course in relevant field? say quantum mechanics or linear algebra?

Also, I will be really appreciated if anyone could give me some advices for the questions on my notes too, thanks a lot!!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
marcusl
Nov21-13, 01:01 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,063
It looks like your background in differential equations needs boosting, for one. Have you studied ODE and PDE?
DrDu
Nov21-13, 01:40 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,562
All your remarks in the source are good and reasonable questions, and most are answered in introductory solid state physics books like Ashcroft and Mermin, which I would recommend you for study.

Register to reply