Searching for a Clear Description of Genes, DNA, and More

• Thread starter collectedsoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna Genes
In summary, I think "Genome" by Matt Ridley is a popular book intended for a general audience that does not provide a systematic overview of the molecules found in the body. It is good for people who know the basics of the subject, but is not ideal for those who want a more comprehensive introduction.
collectedsoul
I started reading 'Genome' by Matt Ridley thinking it would answer my questions of what genes, DNA, etc are, but I found myself frustrated with its approach. He only gives a short outline of where chromosomes and genes reside (in nuclei of cells) in the preface but there's no clear explanation for DNA or ribosomes. Besides the preface was just 4 pages and he immediately in the first chapter jumps into talking about RNA replicating and proteins synthesizing and what not. Without giving a proper clear explanation of what each thing is and where it lies in the body.

So now I'm looking for a proper book that dispenses with the frills and provides an exact picture of what each thing is, where it lies, and how it interacts. I don't mind frills as long as the technical content is first systematically addressed or at least addressed exhaustively as it comes up in the narrative. But 'Genome' is terrible at this. So now I'm looking for a recommendation for an alternative book. Help!

Biology news on Phys.org
I got This book from a quick google search

I don't think there exists something like a clear "position" of the molecules listed. They either are in the nuclei, or outside, and to some extent they are freely floating.

Compare discussion in this recent thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=622587

Besides, Genome is a popular science book, not intended to be a systematic lecture.

When I wrote about 'where things are in the body' I meant in terms of whether they lie in cells, and if so what part of the cell, etc. I want to learn about the chemical compositions also. I've realized that maybe what I need is an introductory textbook to the subject. But really basic, nothing too complex. Any suggestions?

My complaint with 'Genome' is that to really follow and enjoy the content you have to know the stuff beforehand - and then what is the point of reading a popular book at all if you know the subject?

collectedsoul said:
My complaint with 'Genome' is that to really follow and enjoy the content you have to know the stuff beforehand - and then what is the point of reading a popular book at all if you know the subject?

I don't know the book, so I can be wrong, but from experience I know that often things left out don't matter -which is why they are left out.

But obviously if you were looking for something else, you don't have to like the approach :wink:

What are genes and what do they do?

Genes are segments of DNA that contain instructions for the development and functioning of living organisms. They determine various traits, such as physical characteristics and susceptibility to certain diseases.

What is DNA and how does it relate to genes?

DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is a molecule that carries the genetic instructions for the development and functioning of living organisms. Genes are made up of specific sequences of DNA and are responsible for the production of proteins, which carry out various functions in the body.

How does DNA replication occur and why is it important?

DNA replication is the process by which a cell copies its genetic material in order to produce two identical daughter cells. This process is important because it ensures that each new cell has a complete and accurate set of genetic instructions for proper functioning and development.

What are the different types of mutations that can occur in DNA?

There are three main types of mutations that can occur in DNA: substitution, insertion, and deletion. Substitution involves the replacement of one nucleotide with another, while insertion and deletion involve the addition or removal of nucleotides. These mutations can lead to changes in the genetic instructions and potentially impact the functioning of an organism.

How do scientists study genes and DNA?

Scientists use various techniques, such as DNA sequencing and genetic engineering, to study genes and DNA. These methods allow them to analyze the structure and function of genes, identify mutations, and manipulate genetic material for research and medical purposes.