One dimensional diatomic lattice oscillations

In summary, when we allow two masses M1 and M2 in a diatomic lattice to become equal, the frequency gap between the optical and acoustic modes disappears, resulting in only acoustic modes similar to those seen in a monatomic lattice. This is supported by the equation (2α^2/M1)^(1/2) - (2α^2/M2)^(1/2), where M1 = M2 results in a frequency gap of 0.
PsychonautQQ
Suppose we allow two masses M1 and M2 in a one dimensional diatomic lattice to become equal. what happens to the frequency gap? what about in a monatomic lattice?
Knowing that (M1)(A2) + (M2)(A1) = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
a) is this homework?
b) what are A1 and A2?

it's one of those "test your knowledge" questions at the end of the chapter, not homework X_x but I've been trying to figure it out on my own and can't. A1 and A2 are amplitudes

I don't know what you were shown in that book, so I am not sure about what they expect you to do.
Qualitatively, what kind of oscillations do you expect in a chain made up of, say, H2 molecules (atoms of equal mass but different inter- versus intramolecular distances)?

Hey Psychonaut, I know this is probably coming too late, but I had to answer the same question recently on homework lol. Assuming you are also using Omar's book on solid state physics, refer to page 98. Here we see that the frequency gap between the optical and acoustic modes can be defined as (2α^2/M1)^(1/2) - (2α^2/M2)^(1/2) assuming M1<M2. If M1 = M2, then that expression goes to 0 and there is no frequency gap, just acoustic modes like we would expect to see in a typical monoatomic lattice.

1. What is a one dimensional diatomic lattice?

A one dimensional diatomic lattice refers to a system of oscillating particles arranged in a straight line, where each particle is composed of two different types of atoms.

2. What causes these particles to oscillate?

The particles in a one dimensional diatomic lattice oscillate due to the interaction between neighboring particles and the forces acting on them, such as interatomic forces and thermal energy.

3. What is the significance of studying one dimensional diatomic lattice oscillations?

Studying one dimensional diatomic lattice oscillations can provide insights into the behavior of more complex systems, such as solids and molecules. It also has applications in fields like materials science and nanotechnology.

4. How do you mathematically describe the oscillations in a one dimensional diatomic lattice?

The oscillations in a one dimensional diatomic lattice can be described using mathematical models, such as the coupled harmonic oscillator model, which takes into account the interactions between neighboring particles and the forces acting on them.

5. What are some real-life examples of one dimensional diatomic lattices?

One dimensional diatomic lattices can be found in various materials, such as crystals, polymers, and biological molecules. They are also used in devices like nanowires and nanotubes.