Synchrotron Spectrum: Constructing an Emission Spectrum

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing an emission spectrum from a relativistic electron rotating in a homogeneous magnetic field, specifically using the invariance of specific intensity and frequency. The resulting intensity plot was compared to others found on the internet and a Fourier transformation was applied to show the frequency of intensity peaks. However, it was noted that this does not accurately represent the frequency of the emitted radiation and requires a correction to consider the frequency dependence of the radiation emitted at one point in time.
lakmus
Hi!
I try to construct the emission spectrum from relativistic electron rotating in homogeneous magnetic field - synchrotron. In my lecture notes a found out one really easy derivation using the invariance of
[itex]\frac{I'}{(\nu')^3}=\frac{I}{\nu^3}[/itex], where [itex] I [/itex] is the specific intensity and [itex] \nu[/itex] is
the frequency. So the radiated intensity from inertial observe frame is
[itex]I'=\frac{I (\nu')^3}{\nu^3}[/itex], using Doppler effect fromula
[itex]I'=\frac{I}{\gamma^3\left(1-\frac{v}{c}\cos{\theta}\right)^3}[/itex], where [itex] \theta [/itex] is angle possition on the circular trajectory. I used [itex] \theta = \frac{\omega_{cyclotron} t}{\gamma} [/itex] . Then I plotted the resulting
intensity, which looked ok (at least similar to some I found on the internet). I also did the Fourier transformation (picture uploded). But the critical frequency is too hight, also the peaks are to widt - here (http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node133.html) I found, that the maximum radiadion should be emmited at frequency [itex] \propto \gamma^2 \omega_{cyclotron} [/itex] , blue line at the picture.
Thanks a lot for each advice!

Attachments

• synch.png
    synch.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first spectrum shows the intensity over time. The Fourier transformation of this shows the frequency of intensity peaks, but not the frequency of the radiation itself. To get this, you would need the complex amplitude in the first plot, and you don't get this with the simple formula you used.

If you want the frequency of the emitted radiation, I think you can neglect the overall motion of the electron around the circle and focus on the parts where you get the intensity peaks. This won't work with your formula for the total intensity, however.

Ok, thanks a lot! I thought that it is quite weird, that the frequency dependence came only from the periodic motion. So could I try to correct this formula by adding proper intensity I in the rest frame - the correct frequency dependence? (I tried to change some parameteres and if the period of peaks remain the same, but they would be thinner, I will get more shorter frequences - the correct spectrum)

Yes, you need the frequency dependence of the radiation emitted "at one point in time" in some way.

1. What is a synchrotron spectrum?

A synchrotron spectrum is a type of emission spectrum that is produced when high-energy electrons are accelerated through a magnetic field. This results in the emission of electromagnetic radiation, which can be analyzed to identify the elements present in a sample.

2. How is a synchrotron spectrum constructed?

A synchrotron spectrum is constructed by using a synchrotron radiation source, which is a large machine that accelerates electrons through a series of magnets. The resulting emission of electromagnetic radiation is then analyzed using a spectrometer to create a graph of intensity versus wavelength.

3. What are the benefits of using a synchrotron spectrum?

There are many benefits to using a synchrotron spectrum, including its high resolution and sensitivity. It also allows for the analysis of a wide range of elements and can be used to study samples that are difficult to analyze with other methods.

4. How is a synchrotron spectrum different from other types of emission spectra?

A synchrotron spectrum is different from other types of emission spectra because it is produced using high-energy electrons instead of thermal energy. This results in a much more detailed and precise spectrum, with sharper peaks and a wider range of wavelengths.

5. What are some common applications of synchrotron spectra?

Synchrotron spectra are commonly used in a variety of fields, including materials science, biology, and environmental science. They can be used to analyze the composition of materials, identify unknown substances, and study the structure and function of molecules and proteins.