Which is better for creating DC power, a Generator or an Alternator?

• Thread starter karim102
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alternator
In summary, an alternator is simpler and more reliable than a DC generator, but a rectifier bridge isn't as complex or expensive. A higher voltage is generated at slower RPMs with an alternator than with a generator.
karim102
Hi:smile: ,
How are you? I am a again. I've question about what is diffenent between Ganerator D.C and Alternator. I know the Alternater always give us A.C but we use rectifier when we want to D.C, but what is the better Generator D.C (it is one Machine) Alternator, when we want to D.C? because I think the Generator is better when we want to D.C because it is one machine. and it is so cheap then Alternator.

I appreciate it :!)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've question about what is diffenent between Ganerator D.C and Alternator.

While DC generators work on the same general principle of electromagnetic induction, their construction is not as simple as their AC counterparts.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/AC/02002.png [Broken]
That is a basic diagram of a alternator. BAsically the switching of the polarities of the voltage and direction of the current are changed because of the chaning magnetic field.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/AC/02003.png [Broken]

That is a basic diagram of a DC generator. The coils are the key difference. In order for a DC generator to produce constant voltage, rather than brief pulses of voltage once every 1/2 revolution, there are multiple sets of coils making intermittent contact with the brushes.

The relative simplicity of an alternator translates into greater reliability and lower cost of manufacture.

Last edited by a moderator:
A rectifier bridge isn't very complicated, nor is it expensive. Possibly even less so than a set of commutators.

Also, my Private Pilot's License textbook offers the very scant explanation that alternators are preferred in light aircraft over generators because they generate a higher voltage at lower RPMs.

But I don't see why. Faraday's law still holds!
[tex]\varepsilon = -N \frac{d {\Phi}_B}{d t}[/tex]

Besides, the book is full of typos. It's a miracle I passed the exam.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a generator and an alternator?

A generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy, while an alternator is a device that converts mechanical energy into alternating current (AC) electrical energy. The main difference between the two is the type of current they produce.

2. How do generators and alternators work?

Both generators and alternators work on the principle of electromagnetic induction. This involves moving a wire or conductor through a magnetic field, creating an electric current. In a generator, the wire is rotated through the magnetic field, while in an alternator, the magnetic field is rotated around the wire.

3. What are the main applications of generators and alternators?

Generators are commonly used in power plants to produce electricity for homes and businesses. They are also used in portable devices such as camping generators. Alternators are used in vehicles to charge the battery and power the electrical systems.

4. How do you determine the size or capacity of a generator or alternator?

The size or capacity of a generator or alternator is determined by the amount of power it can produce, measured in watts. This is determined by factors such as the speed of rotation, number of windings, and strength of the magnetic field. The higher the wattage, the larger the generator or alternator.

5. What are the main differences between AC and DC generators and alternators?

AC (alternating current) generators and alternators produce alternating current, which is used to power most electrical devices. DC (direct current) generators and alternators produce direct current, which is used in devices such as batteries and electronic devices. AC generators and alternators are more efficient for long-distance power transmission, while DC generators and alternators are better for smaller-scale applications.