Greatest physicist of all time?

In summary: Heisenberg is left out because he wasn't as prolific as the others, and Aristotle was a pretty obscure figure until the late medieval period.

Who was the greatest physicist?

• Total voters
@ marlon: Now I have enough time to respond to your post. I seriously recommend you to study logic. You really need it.(because you jump to a conclusion base on irrelevant information!:bugeye: )Oh and thank you very much. It was fun to talk to you. I just don't know why PF'ers' posts don't make me laugh recently but you really made me laugh.:cool: :rofl:

marlon said:
I checked that post, but i am sorry because i really do not get the link.
:rolleyes:

Besides, for your information, i do not think that the Spanish Inquisition is funny.
Agree with you! So please stop doing that.:wink:

Yes indeed, and i am still waiting for an answer to that question. Permit me to speak my mind : "I have a gut feeling you are, for some reason, not willing to understand what my question is about."
You're not really making sense here! Since what I said is relevant to your question, that couldn't be true!:rolleyes:

Yes you did, when you started describing "argumentative people" and how you are not comfortable with them because they "never listen or never get your point". These are your own words and you were referring to me. Why else would you have brought that up, especially at the beginning of your first reply to me?
I was awaring you that I have no wish to argue wih that kind of people and I was thinking of the characteristic of a guy who I know in my real life and mentioning whatever makes a discussion impossible with him![ we never get anywhere in any argument (I don't mean we should agree with each other at the end. I just want him to talk base on facts...)]
BUT anyway you can think I was talking about you if you like!:zzz:

How is that ? By saying that most people do not even know what Einstein's work is about ? Well, isn't this the truth ?
You're not talking to most people here. Here's a physics forum and people around here must be a bit different from others in this case!:rolleyes:

Ooo ? Really ? I have difficulties believing that, sorry...
Reminds me of paranio!:yuck:

But i do not think this is even relevant to our discussion here.
It was you who brought it up at first! Instead of judging others, please just continue your debate. Oh but I guess if you didn't pass any judgement on me at the first place, you didn't start all this.(note that you thought my lack of info. led me to choose Einstein.)

Why ,:rolleyes: :rofl: err, perhaps by bringing up Spanish Inquisition ? Or is that supposed to be a complement ? If so, please enlighten me because i do not get it.
Sorry but I'm not a mind reader to tell you why you brought it up!:biggrin:

Ok point taken. this is clear...
Not sure of it! If the point taken, why are you still insiting I made a judgement on you?:tongue2:

Are you sure ? :wink: You are excluding people here just based upon the fact that you do not like them.
What's the use of discussion with people who don't listen to you? Anyway you're oversimplified here. It's not the way you're thinking!

This is not very mature and since maturity does not come with age, what can we deduce from this ?
Another immature person around here discovered by our Mr.marlon!o:)

What if your boss is someone with this caracteristic, hmmm?
Don't worry about me. I can get along well with people around me! Anyway thank you for your thought!o:)

ok, true, but this counts for many scientists. Why are you not mentioning the people that founded QM ?
Right now I'm talking about Einstein not others! Are you their lawyer?:biggrin:

Why does Einstein deserve this extra credit, according to you ?
Who said that? here we can only vote for 1 person. If you read my first post, you get you're only killing yourself somehow for a humorous post!:rofl:

Beware, i am not contesting your choice, i am just asking for clarification.
:rofl: :rofl: Let's say the next time you're asking me why I'm dating A not B, C or D?

But that counts for Bohr, Dirac, Heisenberg, Newton, ...too ?
:approve: Sure! I told you I don't like to choose 1 of the physicist as a greatest.:devil:

Again why Einstein out all of these people ?
because i can only vote for 1!:zzz: You know if you hadn't already made up your mind on this and wanted to know more, I certainly spend some time to tell you more. Oh anyway you can think the way you like!(i told you I don't care anyway!:zzz: )

Sorry, but this is absolutely not true.
You're almost right!:approve:

Arrghh, i really should have become a lawer instead of a physicist.
Not a lawyer because they have to have reasons for what they're saying!:tongue2: An for sure nobody's going to jest with a lawyer and admit something! But I guess that would have been a lot bette than being a physicists in your case!o:)

Nothing
I see !:rolleyes: So if you can't be any help, please let others to be happy with their stupidity. I mean why should you let them how stupid they're when they can't do anything about it and it just make them sad?:devil: :tongue2:

Regards;
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I voted bohr for his sexy eyebrows and dashing good looks!

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5937

I don't know, something about him in his photos. He always comes off as a humble and descent guy. The kind of guy anyone would get along with. Am I the only one that gets that vibe when looking at his old photos? Plus I am biased because I loved the play Copenhagen. (This pole really isint fair, you can't say one is more important than any other, so I just voted for fun :wink: )

Last edited:
I voted Galileo, but I would have voted for Archimedes

Exact same here. It blew my mind that Archimedes developed a form of calculus almost two thousand years before Newton.

I'd like to mention also, that I like Einstein as a physicist only. As a person I think he was an obsolutely self-involved jerk.

Lisa! You are a sweetie, you really are...

regards
marlon

I voted Galileo because he was living in a difficult time for science, and helped change everything in a lot of ways for us.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Plus I am biased because I loved the play Copenhagen.
I saw the version they made for television and was quite hypnotized by it. An excellent piece of theater.

fourier jr said:
...he's one of the greatest because he saw all the connections that nobody else did.

Aether said:
For example? And for each example, please cite an experiment that proves the point (e.g., unproven/unprovable, coordinate-system dependent, etc. conjectures don't count).

I can't hear you!

No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong. -- Albert Einstein

Still no vote for Rutherford and Plank! :uhh:

You can bicker all you want, but Archimedes still rules!

arildno said:
You can bicker all you want, but Archimedes still rules!

Aristotle wasn't a physicist, he was a meta-physicist!:biggrin:

Actually it was one of his students, Straton, who first called himself Physicist (ho Physikos). Straton is one of the figures in the prehistory of conservation of momentum.

Since you studied fluid mechanics, you know him better than us! Anyway I think he was a cool physicist.

Lisa! said:
Since you studied fluid mechanics, you know him better than us! Anyway I think he was a cool physicist.
Don't mess about his circles, though; he tends to get rather irate, with dire consequences..