Proving a Summation Equation using Cosine and Sine Functions | Help and Examples

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving summations of cosine functions and how to apply a known rule to solve it. The solution involves rewriting the summation in terms of a geometric sum and using trigonometric identities. The conversation also touches on the derivation of this rule and compares it to a similar sum found on a math website.
UrbanXrisis
I am to show that...

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} cos(\alpha -nx)=cos\alpha \frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} cos(\alpha)cos(nx)+\sum_{n=-N}^+Nsin(\alpha)\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N}sin(\alpha)\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)} =0[/tex]

[tex]cos(\alpha) 2 \sum_{n=0}^{+N} cos(nx)[/tex]

I know of a rule that shows...

[tex]\frac{1}{2}+cos(x)+cos(2n)+...cos(nx)=\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{2sin(x/2)}[/tex]

but I don't see how to apply it to get my answer, since my summation is similar to equation (9) on this site: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cosine.html

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've messed up in stating your problem -- it doesn't really make sense.

Anyways, you know trig identities, right? You could try applying some of them.

Or, you could always grind through an inductive proof.

oh wow, i totally messed up there...

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} cos(\alpha -nx)=cos\alpha \frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]

[tex]cos(\alpha -nx) =cos(x)cos(nx)+sin(\alpha)sin(nx)[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} cos(\alpha)cos(nx)+\sum_{n=-N}^{+N} sin(\alpha)sin(nx)[/tex]

[tex]sin(\alpha) \sum_{n=-N}^{+N} sin(nx)=0[/tex] since it is an odd function

so I am left with...
[tex]cos(\alpha) 2 \sum_{n=0}^{+N} cos(nx)=cos\alpha \frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]
[tex]2 \sum_{n=0}^{+N} cos(nx)=\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]

there is a rule that shows:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}+cos(x)+cos(2n)+...cos(nx)=\frac{sin(N+ 0.5)x}{2sin(x/2)}[/tex]

I am stuck on this part and I don't know where to go from here.

there is a rule that shows:
Can you write that rule in summation notation?

UrbanXrisis said:
so I am left with...
[tex]cos(\alpha) 2 \sum_{n=0}^{+N} cos(nx)=cos\alpha \frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]
[tex]2 \sum_{n=0}^{+N} cos(nx)=\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex]
This is wrong, counter-example: N = 0, the LHS is 2, whereas the RHS is 1, and it's true that: [tex]2 \neq 1[/tex], right?
You are wrong when assuming that:
[tex]\cos \alpha \sum_{n = -N} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx)) = 2 \cos \alpha \sum_{n = 0} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx))[/tex]
In fact, it should read:
[tex]\cos \alpha \sum_{n = -N} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx)) = 2 \cos \alpha \sum_{n = 1} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx)) + \cos \alpha \cos (0n) = 2 \cos \alpha \sum_{n = 1} ^ {+N} (\cos (nx)) + \cos \alpha[/tex]
[tex]= \cos \alpha \left( 1 + 2 \left( \sum_{n = 1} ^ {+N} \cos (nx) \right) \right)[/tex].
Now you can go from here, right? Hint: follow Hurkyl's suggestion. :)

[tex]\frac{sin(N+ 0.5)x}{2sin(x/2)}=-\frac{1}{2}+\sum_{n = 1} ^ {+N} \cos (nx) [/tex]

so now everything fits into place!

Just out of curiosity, how would someone derive: [tex]\frac{1}{2}+cos(x)+cos(2n)+...cos(nx)=\frac{sin(N+ 0.5)x}{2sin(x/2)}[/tex]?

Use [tex]\cos(z)=\frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}{2}[/tex] to turn it into a geometric sum.

Induction works too.

shmoe said:
Use [tex]\cos(z)=\frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}{2}[/tex] to turn it into a geometric sum.

would the answer include the imaginary part?

i've found an example in mathworld but it isn't the sum from 1 to infinity, but from 0 to infinity: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cosine.html

how is it possible that their cosine on the numerator is canceled out to form [tex]\frac{sin(N+0.5)x}{sin(x/2)}[/tex] when the summation is changed from (0 to inifinity is what they have) to 1 to infinity?

There won't be an imaginary part.

The sum on mathworld, (9)-(13) I guess you mean, is a little different from yours (note it doesn't go to infinity). You both have a term for n=0, but yours is half theirs and your argments for the sin in the numerator are different.

Their method of derivation is essentially what I suggested (though they should have said something about the x=integer multiple of 2*pi case). You might want to work with yours in the form [tex]\sum_{n = -N} ^ {+N} \cos (nx)[/tex] though.

1. How do I prove a summation equation using cosine and sine functions?

To prove a summation equation using cosine and sine functions, you can use the properties of these trigonometric functions such as their periodicity, amplitude, and phase shift. You can also use trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, to simplify the equation. Additionally, you can use mathematical induction to prove the equation for all values of n.

2. Can you provide an example of proving a summation equation using cosine and sine functions?

One example of proving a summation equation using cosine and sine functions is the proof of the summation formula for the tangent function:
tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x). This can be proven by using the Pythagorean identity sin²(x) + cos²(x) = 1 and the definition of tangent as sin(x)/cos(x).

3. What are some tips for proving a summation equation using cosine and sine functions?

Some tips for proving a summation equation using cosine and sine functions include:
- Familiarize yourself with the properties and identities of cosine and sine functions
- Use mathematical induction to prove the equation for all values of n
- Simplify the equation by using trigonometric identities
- Check your work by substituting in values for n and verifying that the equation holds true.

4. Can I use other trigonometric functions besides cosine and sine to prove a summation equation?

Yes, besides cosine and sine, you can also use other trigonometric functions such as tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant to prove a summation equation. These functions have their own unique properties and identities that can be used to simplify and prove equations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving a summation equation using cosine and sine functions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving a summation equation using cosine and sine functions include:
- Forgetting to account for the period or range of the trigonometric functions
- Using incorrect identities or making algebraic errors
- Not verifying the equation for all values of n
- Not showing all steps of the proof and skipping important details.