Calculating Acceleration and Distance: Entering the Freeway

• Thread starter Musicman
  • Start date
In summary, The driver of a car waiting at an entrance ramp to a freeway sees a small gap and accelerates with constant acceleration of 3.91 m/s/s along the 115 m long ramp and onto the freeway. The car starts from rest and has a speed of 30 m/s when it reaches the end of the ramp. The traffic on the freeway is moving at a constant speed of 30 m/s. The distance the traffic travels while the car is moving the length of the ramp is 230 m.
Musicman
Entering the Freeway. A car sits in an entrance ramp to a freeway, waiting for a break in the traffic. The driver sees a small gap between a van and an 18-wheel truck and accelerates with constant acceleration along the ramp and onto the freeway. The car starts from rest, moves in a straight line, and has a speed of 30 m/s (67 mi/h) when it reaches the end of the 115 m long ramp.

Ok for the acceleration I got 3.91 m/s/s and got that it takes 7.61 s for the car to travel the length of the ramp, but I don't understand part C:

(c) The traffic on the freeway is moving at a constant speed of 30 m/s. What distance does the traffic travel while the car is moving the length of the ramp?

i got 117.4 m but idk

Physics news on Phys.org
Musicman said:
Ok for the acceleration I got 3.91 m/s/s and got that it takes 7.61 s for the car to travel the length of the ramp.
These are both correct, however I think you have induced a rounding error, the time should be 7.67s
Musicman said:
(c) The traffic on the freeway is moving at a constant speed of 30 m/s. What distance does the traffic travel while the car is moving the length of the ramp?

i got 117.4 m but idk
I'm afraid this is not correct. Don't forget the traffic is traveling at a constant velocity.

what did u get then? because I am totally lost like i knew what i was doing for the first 2 parts but not this part.

Musicman said:
what did u get then? because I am totally lost like i knew what i was doing for the first 2 parts but not this part.
I'm not giving you the answer :tongue2: . Think about traveling at constant velocity. What is the equation for uniform velocity? How do you define velocity?

x=v of x times t

Musicman said:
x=v of x times t
Thats right, distance is equal to the product of velocity and time. Use it:wink:

well i put 29.75 and it said its wrong and it was my last submission so oh well, apparently 7.61 times 3.91 doesn't work.

Musicman said:
well i put 29.75 and it said its wrong and it was my last submission so oh well, apparently 7.61 times 3.91 doesn't work.
3.91 is the acceleration of the car traveling up the ramp not the velocity of the cars traveling on the freeway which would be 7.66 x 30 = 230m

What is the proper way to enter a freeway?

The proper way to enter a freeway is to use the on-ramp and acceleration lane to gradually increase your speed and merge into the flow of traffic. Always use your turn signal and check your blind spots before merging.

What is the speed limit when entering a freeway?

The speed limit when entering a freeway is typically the same as the posted speed limit for that particular freeway. However, if there are signs indicating a lower speed limit for the on-ramp or acceleration lane, you should follow those instead.

What should I do if I miss my exit on the freeway?

If you miss your exit on the freeway, do not panic or make sudden maneuvers. Continue driving until you reach the next exit and then safely turn around or use a navigation system to guide you back to your intended destination.

Do I need to yield when entering a freeway?

Yes, you should always yield to the traffic already on the freeway when entering. Use the on-ramp and acceleration lane to match the speed of the traffic and merge when it is safe to do so.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when entering a freeway?

Some common mistakes to avoid when entering a freeway include not using your turn signal, merging too quickly or too slowly, and not checking your blind spots. It is also important to pay attention to the flow of traffic and adjust your speed accordingly to merge smoothly.