Struggling with a Vector Proof? Help Needed!

In summary, the information given is in the picture. I have to prove that BE:EF=1:2, and also that CD:DF=1:1. I'm sorry if it is drawn badly, I did it quickly..but you get the idea.
Warr
Hmm...having a problem with a proof here:

http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Warr/untitled.JPG

the information given is in the picture

I have to prove that BE:EF = 1:2, and also that CD:DF = 1:1

sorry if it is drawn badly, I did it quickly..but you get the idea.

This needs to be a vector proof. So I'm assuming it has to have something to do with linear independence, thought I don't exactly know how to do it. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
It won't help if i solve this problem for u

So i give u some hints which will start ur quest

Consider E as your origin With A and C as Position vectors(PV) a and b {bold represents vectors} write PV for B using section formula PV for D will be -a/2

Assume the ratio DF/CD=m and similarly for FE/EB=n

Now again using section formula find PV in terms of m And then in terms of n

Equate the two PV thus obtained And i hope u ur Q. will be concluded

I still can't get it :(

I really want to know how to do this...Can someone please just give me the full answer. I really think I'm missing something big here.

Last edited:
*Bump*

This is getting kind of urgent...I need to know this for a test tomorrow and I have no idea how to do it! =(

Sorry about all this bumping...but I am in dire need. Please, I'm begging someone to finish this >_<

Ok have u tried The hints i have given

Consider E as origin And PV of A(a) and C(c) where a and c are PV

now from section formula
PV of B(b)

[tex] \mbox{b} = \frac{\mbox{a}+\mbox{c}}{2} [/tex] and note the direction as well

Also PV for D(d) = - a/2 note down the direction

now consider the ratio CD:DF=1:m

Again from section formula PV for D is given by
[tex]=\frac{\mbox{f}+m\mbox{b}}{m+1} = - \frac{\mbox{a}}{2}[/tex]

After rearrangement u get
f= -(m+1)a/2 - mb ...1

Similarly consider BE:EF=1:n

for which PV of F
[tex](\mbox{f}) = n\mbox{b}=n \frac{\mbox{a}+\mbox{c}}{2} [/tex] ...2

Equatin 1 and 2
u get

[tex] \frac{n\mbox{a]}{2}+\frac{n\mbox{b}}{2}=-\frac{(m+1)\mbox{a}}{2} - m\mbox{b}[/tex]
Now from the properties of vectors or say uniqueness

We have
n=-(m+1) ...3
and n=-2m ...4

from 3&4
m=1 i.e CD:DF=1:1
n=2 i.e BE:EF=1:2

Last edited:
Here is the attachment for fig

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

1. What is a vector proof?

A vector proof is a type of mathematical proof that involves using vectors to show the validity of a statement or theorem. It is commonly used in linear algebra, geometry, and physics.

2. Why are vector proofs important?

Vector proofs are important because they allow us to prove mathematical statements using the concept of vectors, which have many real-world applications. They also help us better understand the properties of vectors and their relationships with other mathematical concepts.

3. How do I approach a vector proof?

The first step in approaching a vector proof is to carefully read and understand the statement or theorem that needs to be proven. Then, you can start by writing out the given information and any known facts about vectors. Next, you can use algebraic manipulations and geometric reasoning to show that the statement is true.

4. What are some common challenges when struggling with a vector proof?

Some common challenges when struggling with a vector proof include not fully understanding the concept of vectors, not knowing which properties or theorems to apply, and making mistakes in algebraic manipulations. It is important to practice and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Are there any tips for successfully completing a vector proof?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you successfully complete a vector proof. These include drawing accurate diagrams, using vector notation, writing out all given information, and carefully organizing your work. It is also helpful to check your work and make sure that your steps are logical and lead to the desired conclusion.