Speed of light and relativity

In summary: Lorentz Transformation. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the "lightclock" example to understand aspects of special relativity. The speaker is confused about how using a "soundclock" instead would change the Lorentz transformation. The expert explains that the key feature of a light clock is its speed being the same in any inertial frame, while sound does not have this property. The expert also mentions that the time dilation formula leads to the addition law of relativistic velocities and the Lorentz transformations can be derived from this. The conversation also touches on the idea of using radar experiments and a geometric argument to understand the Lorentz transformations.
covers
There's one thing I cannot get straight so I hope someone can help me out here.

Often the 'lightclock' example is used to explain certain aspects of special relativity. With this example its possible to understand the Lorentztransformation to some degree. Now my problem is, that I always think that if I would take a sound-clock instead of a lightclock the whole Lorentztransformation would change (the motion of sound is, as light, also independent of the source). Consider this, for a resting observer the light within the clock (the clock is in motion inside a spaceship) makes a zigzag path. Whereas the zigzag path of the light can at most form a 45 degree angle (when the spaceship moves with the speed of light). So the light takes longer from the viewpoint of a resting observer then from the viewpoint of an obeserver inside the spaceship. Now if we make the same experiment with a 'soundclock', the zigzag path of the sound is much more extrem, thus can form an angle which is much more then 45 degrees. When I think about this, that time dilation must therefore be much more extrem then with light, because from the viewpoint of the resting observer, the distance which the sound travels is much more stretched then the distance in the example of the lightclock.

Can someone help me out here? This really bugs me, and I am not able to find the error in this line of reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
covers said:
(the motion of sound is, as light, also independent of the source).

This may be true, I don't know. But I do know that the speed of sound is NOT independent of the speed of the OBSERVER. Light is.

The way I explain it to my daughter is as follows: Light is like a rainbow. No matter how fast you run to catch up with it, it is always moving away from you just as fast.

covers said:
There's one thing I cannot get straight so I hope someone can help me out here.

Often the 'lightclock' example is used to explain certain aspects of special relativity. With this example its possible to understand the Lorentztransformation to some degree. Now my problem is, that I always think that if I would take a sound-clock instead of a lightclock the whole Lorentztransformation would change (the motion of sound is, as light, also independent of the source). Consider this, for a resting observer the light within the clock (the clock is in motion inside a spaceship) makes a zigzag path. Whereas the zigzag path of the light can at most form a 45 degree angle (when the spaceship moves with the speed of light). So the light takes longer from the viewpoint of a resting observer then from the viewpoint of an obeserver inside the spaceship. Now if we make the same experiment with a 'soundclock', the zigzag path of the sound is much more extrem, thus can form an angle which is much more then 45 degrees. When I think about this, that time dilation must therefore be much more extrem then with light, because from the viewpoint of the resting observer, the distance which the sound travels is much more stretched then the distance in the example of the lightclock.

Can someone help me out here? This really bugs me, and I am not able to find the error in this line of reasoning.
I think that the light clock leads to the time dilation formula and not to the Lorentz-Einstein transformations. As Asher Peres has shown the time dilation formula leads to the addition law of relativistic velocities which at its turn could lead to all the transformation equations of special relativity. (See the link below).
The acoustic clock is not so easy to treat but it will shurelly not lead to other transformation equations. Have a look please at
Physics, abstract
physics/0607048
(arXiv)
sine ira et studio

covers said:
Now my problem is, that I always think that if I would take a sound-clock instead of a lightclock the whole Lorentztransformation would change (the motion of sound is, as light, also independent of the source).
The key feature of a light clock that allows you to draw some interesting conclusions (time dilation, etc.) is that light has the unique property that its speed is the same as measured in any inertial frame. Sound does not have that property!

Oops: Looks like actionintegral already said the same thing.

Last edited:
actionintegral said:
No matter how fast you run to catch up with it, it is always moving away from you just as fast.

You can catch up with sound, but not with light. That seems to make sense.
But what does this mean for the sound-clock? Does it mean the sound inside the clock (inside the moving spaceship) does not go straight? Does it bounce against the wall of the clock? Cannot be, as we could measure the speed of the spaceship that way! What doese it mean then? Maybe sound travels faster when it moves? Does not make much sense either... hmm

bernhard.rothenstein said:
(See the link below)
Sorry, but I could not find that link...

Doc Al said:
light has the unique property that its speed is the same as measured in any inertial frame. Sound does not have that property!

But if sound moves at different speeds in different inertial systems, couldn't I calculate the speed of the inertial system itself from that property?

bernhard.rothenstein said:
I think that the light clock leads to the time dilation formula and not to the Lorentz-Einstein transformations. As Asher Peres has shown the time dilation formula leads to the addition law of relativistic velocities which at its turn could lead to all the transformation equations of special relativity.

Once time-dilation is established for a light-clock (so that you know the ticks on any inertial worldline), you can do radar experiments... from which the Lorentz Transformations follow immediately.

Here's a geometric argument: if you draw a "longitudinal light clock", you will find that the area enclosed by one tick (i.e. the triangle with a future-timelike leg and two future-null legs) is a spacetime invariant. Upon comparison of the corresponding ticks from two lightclocks, the scaling behavior of the null legs yields the Lorentz Transformation in light-cone coordinates. By translating into rectangular coordinates (via radar methods), you get the standard 1+1 Lorentz Transformations.

See http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0505134

covers said:
But if sound moves at different speeds in different inertial systems, couldn't I calculate the speed of the inertial system itself from that property?
The speed of sound with respect to the observer depends on the inertial frame that is doing the observing. Depending upon the setup, you could use that to measure the relative speed of the sound medium (air) with respect to the observing frame. So? (What you couldn't do is perform an experiment with sound inside your spaceship lab and use the results to deduce the speed of your spaceship.)

The problem with the "sound clock" idea is that to properly deduce the speed of the sound with respect to various observers requires the use of the relativistic velocity addition formulas. The "light clock" is much simpler to analyze.

robphy said:
Once time-dilation is established for a light-clock (so that you know the ticks on any inertial worldline), you can do radar experiments... from which the Lorentz Transformations follow immediately.

I think that the radar detec tion experiments are associated with Doppler which is a consequence of the time dilation
Sine ira et studio

covers said:

Yes. If you're traveling at Mach 1, and see you're going as fast as a sound wave, you know you're travellign at the speed of sound relative to the medium.

However, you don't know how fast the medium is travelling

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics, denoted by the symbol "c". In a vacuum, it is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This means that in one second, light can travel the equivalent of almost 7.5 times around the Earth's equator.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. Nothing with mass can reach or exceed this speed. However, there are some theories that suggest particles called tachyons may exist that can travel faster than light, but this is still a topic of debate among scientists.

3. How is the speed of light related to time and space?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that time and space are not absolute, but rather dependent on the observer's frame of reference. As an object's speed approaches the speed of light, time slows down and space contracts, leading to the phenomenon of time dilation and length contraction.

4. Why is the speed of light considered the cosmic speed limit?

The speed of light is considered the cosmic speed limit because it is the fastest possible speed at which energy, information, or matter can travel. This is due to the fact that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass becomes infinite and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

5. How does the speed of light affect our perception of the universe?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in the way we perceive the universe. Because light takes time to travel, we see objects as they were in the past, not as they are in the present. This allows us to look back in time and study the history of our universe. Additionally, the fact that the speed of light is constant allows us to make accurate measurements and predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe.