Hydraulics instead of internal combustion engine

In summary: I haven't heard or seen anything about this. Any more information?I can't remember where I saw the articles but I've heard of this. UPS is essentially looking at experimenting with equipping a small portion of their truck fleet with hydraulics to recapture and store energy used during braking and then use it to assist the ICE during acceleration. I have no idea if they're even past the "still talking about it" stage.
avemt1
i recently heard that ups is designing and testing a hydraulic system to power a torque converter for an efficient delivery system i need to know the validity of the situation and the plausibility of it being run by an electrically powered motor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Haven't heard or seen anything about this. Any more information?

I can't remember where I saw the articles but I've heard of this. UPS is essentially looking at experimenting with equipping a small portion of their truck fleet with hydraulics to recapture and store energy used during braking and then use it to assist the ICE during acceleration. I have no idea if they're even past the "still talking about it" stage.

Francis M said:
I can't remember where I saw the articles but I've heard of this. UPS is essentially looking at experimenting with equipping a small portion of their truck fleet with hydraulics to recapture and store energy used during braking and then use it to assist the ICE during acceleration. I have no idea if they're even past the "still talking about it" stage.

I read about this in Pro-Sci as a next-gen hybrid system, it's not really a "hydraulic" system though, it uses compressed gas. Rather than using a generator and batteries to recapture energy (which is about 35% efficient) a company proposed using a compressor attached to the driveline that pressurizes nitrogen between a "low pressure" tank and a "high pressure" tank during braking. Then, they run the compressor in reverse during acceleration to help the IC engine. The idea is that this system for recapturing energy will be about 70% efficient.

I think I also read that UPS will be doing prototype testing. In the end it isn't a complete ICE replacement, it is a non-electric hybrid system.

...not really a "hydraulic" system though, it uses compressed gas
Unless it's a newer evrsion of this:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3165/is_2002_Feb_1/ai_87847732
which is an hydraulic system used to compress a gas.

So an accumulator? Sounds like a nice enough idea, packaging is always an issue with such things though.

What did the OP mean about it being powered electrically? Just an electric motor rather than an IC engine?

I'm not sure. Now that I've read the OP again it does seem a little confusing.

avemt1

Are you asking about how the system UPS is looking into works or are you asking if it could be used other than with an ICE?
Please, if you could, clarify the original question so the forum can gear the answers more towards what you're expecting for information. Thanks.

Energy recovery and Storage

Yes, in the final annalysis of Recovery and Storage of energy there are many (fuzzy) ways of doing it with many ideas. The largest question always seems to be how to store the captured energy and redestribute it in a proper usable fashion.

How do they convert the compressed air/gas into momentum? Aim it backwards and use it as a rocket?:cool:

denni89627 said:
How do they convert the compressed air/gas into momentum? Aim it backwards and use it as a rocket?:cool:
That would be a tad inefficient (and loud!). :biggrin:
The gas would be used to store pressure in the hydraulic system, which can then be used to turn a hydraulic motor (which can be the pump run in reverse).

Last edited:
In the first model I ever saw (which was more than 15 years ago) was being test-run in some place like Norway or perhaps Denmark. Thay were putting it in city busses, and it was a very simple mechanism. Gears connected the wheels to a piston that ran the entire length of the bus (underneath), and when hte breaks were applied the wheels pushed the piston into a cylinder that had no vent, compressing the air inside.

When the break was released and the accelerator stepped on, the gearing between the piston and the wheel was reversed, allowing the expanding gasses inside the cylinder to push the wheels in a forward direction.

1. What is the main difference between hydraulics and an internal combustion engine?

Hydraulics use pressurized fluids to create motion, while internal combustion engines use controlled explosions to generate power.

2. What are the advantages of using hydraulics instead of an internal combustion engine?

Hydraulics can provide more precise and consistent power output, are less prone to mechanical failures, and have a longer lifespan compared to internal combustion engines.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using hydraulics?

One disadvantage is that hydraulic systems can be more complex and require more maintenance compared to internal combustion engines. They also tend to be less efficient in terms of energy conversion.

4. Can hydraulics be used in all types of vehicles?

While hydraulics are commonly used in heavy machinery, they can also be used in smaller vehicles such as cars and motorcycles. However, their use in smaller vehicles is not as common due to the complexity and cost of the system.

5. Are there any environmental benefits to using hydraulics instead of internal combustion engines?

Hydraulic systems produce less emissions compared to internal combustion engines, making them a more environmentally friendly option. They also use non-toxic and biodegradable fluids, reducing the risk of pollution.