Can some clarify I did this logical expressoin correctly? descrete math

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
In summary, to find a web page that tells you which is the fastest mammal, use the logical expression "Jaguar" AND "cheetah" AND (speed OR fastest) AND NOT (car OR automobile OR auto). For a similar problem about United States Presidents, use "United States President" AND (14th OR fourteenth) AND NOT amendment.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone.

THe directions say:
You recall that the fastest mammal on Earth is either a jaguar or a cheetah. to find a web page to tell you which one is the fastest, write a logical expression containing "jaguar" and "cheetah," and either "speed" or "fastest" but not "car," or "automobile" or "auto"

I wrote the following:

"Jaguar" AND "cheeta" AND (speed or fastest) AND NOT (car OR automobile OR auto)

The book had a simliar problem that stated:
Write a logical expression to find web pages containing the folowing:
"United States Presidents" and either "14th" or "fourteenth" but not "amendment".

The answer was:
"United States President" AND (14th OR fourteeth) AND NOT amendment

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

- Warren

It's right, but one thing worth mentioning--you don't have to use quotes around a single word like "Jaguar." Quotes are only necessary to lump several words together. Also, typo on cheetah.

1. How do I know if my logical expression is correct?

The best way to check if your logical expression is correct is by using a truth table. This will allow you to see all the possible combinations of inputs and outputs, and determine if your expression follows the correct logical rules.

2. What are the key components of a logical expression?

A logical expression consists of variables, logical operators (such as AND, OR, and NOT), and parentheses. It is important to use these components correctly in order to create a valid expression.

3. What is the difference between discrete math and other branches of mathematics?

Discrete math focuses on studying mathematical structures that are countable and finite, rather than continuous. It is commonly used in computer science and other fields that deal with discrete objects and processes.

4. Can you provide an example of a logical expression in discrete math?

One example of a logical expression in discrete math is the statement "If x is even, then x+2 is also even." This can be written as "x is even → x+2 is even" using logical operators.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving logical expressions in discrete math?

The best way to improve in solving logical expressions in discrete math is by practicing and understanding the principles and rules behind them. You can also seek guidance from a tutor or join a study group to help with any difficult concepts.