Is a Two-Stage Carnot Engine More Efficient Than a Single-Stage Engine?

In summary: W1 + W2)/(Q1 + Q2) when you should be using the efficiency formula e_2stage_ = (W1 + W2)/(Q1 + Q2) = (T_h_ - T_o_)/(T_h_ - T_c_). So in summary, the two-stage Carnot engine will have a higher efficiency than a single Carnot engine operating between T_h_ and T_o_ because it utilizes the discarded heat to create more work.
sapiental
Consider a Carnot engine operating between temperatures T_h_ and T_c_, where T_c_ is above the ambient temperature T_o_. A second engine operates between the temperatures T_c_ and T_o_.

Calculate (in terms of temperatures) the overall efficiency of the two-stage engine operating this way, and compare with the efficiency of a single Carnot engine operating between the high and low temperatures T_h_ and T_o_.
Which has the higher efficiency, the two-stage or the single engine?

e = 1 - (T_c_/T_h_)

e_2stage_ = 1 - (T_c_/T_h_)(T_o_/T_c_) = 1 - (T_h_-T_o_)/(T_h_)

If I set this up correctly, the 2tage carnot engine will be by far more efficent since it uses the discarded heat to create more work.

I have a funny feeling as if this is violating some law of thermodynamics however..

any advice and feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this image helps :)

Attachments

• untitleds.JPG
    untitleds.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 690
What are the hot and cold temperatures for the single stage engine?

hot temp = T_h_ and cold temp = T_c_ for single stage disregarding the second engine, which is T_o_ for the cold temp and T_c_ (above ambient temp) for the hot temp.

sapiental said:
Consider a Carnot engine operating between temperatures T_h_ and T_c_, where T_c_ is above the ambient temperature T_o_. A second engine operates between the temperatures T_c_ and T_o_.

Calculate (in terms of temperatures) the overall efficiency of the two-stage engine operating this way, and compare with the efficiency of a single Carnot engine operating between the high and low temperatures T_h_ and T_o_.
Which has the higher efficiency, the two-stage or the single engine?

e = 1 - (T_c_/T_h_)

e_2stage_ = 1 - (T_c_/T_h_)(T_o_/T_c_) = 1 - (T_h_-T_o_)/(T_h_)

If I set this up correctly, the 2tage carnot engine will be by far more efficent since it uses the discarded heat to create more work.

I have a funny feeling as if this is violating some law of thermodynamics however..

any advice and feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.
I think that what you are calling e_2stage is in fact the efficiency of a single stage operating between T_h and T_o. I can't see the equality between the two expressions you wrote. How did you come up with e_2stage?

Which is more efficient, an engine operating between T_h and T_c or one operating between T_h and T_o?

Last edited:
hmm, I see my mistake, let me try it this waye = W/Q
e2stage = (W1 + W2)/(Q1+Q2)
e2stage = W1/Q1 + W2/Q1 + W1/Q2 + W2/Q2
e2stage = (Q1 - Q2)/Q1 + (Q1 - Q2)/Q2 + (Q2 - Q3)/Q1 + (Q2 - Q3)/Q2QH/QC = TH/TC

e2stage = (T_h_ - T_c_)/T_h_ + (T_h_ - T_c_)/T_c_ + (T_c_ - T_o_)/T_h_ + (T_c_- T_o_)/T_c_

is this it? I can't believe how far off I was earlier. Sorry for confusing you guys as much as I did.

Last edited:
sapiental said:
hmm, I see my mistake, let me try it this way

e = W/Q = (W1 + W2)/Q <-- added by OlderDan
e2stage = (W1 + W2)/(Q1+Q2)
e2stage = W1/Q1 + W2/Q1 + W1/Q2 + W2/Q2
e2stage = (Q1 - Q2)/Q1 + (Q1 - Q2)/Q2 + (Q2 - Q3)/Q1 + (Q2 - Q3)/Q2

QH/QC = TH/TC

e2stage = (T_h_ - T_c_)/T_h_ + (T_h_ - T_c_)/T_c_ + (T_c_ - T_o_)/T_h_ + (T_c_- T_o_)/T_c_

is this it? I can't believe how far off I was earlier. Sorry for confusing you guys as much as I did.
The first two lines are good, but the third violates some basic rules of Algebra. The line after that I don't get what you are doing.

The way I interpret your first two lines is this
e is the efficiency of the single stage engine
W is the work done by the single stage engine
Q is the energy input to the single stage engine
W1 and W2 are the work done by the individual stages of the two-stage engine, and Q1 and Q2 are the energy inputs to the two stages.

To compare the efficiencies, e to e2stage, I would set the work outputs equal (as I did by adding the blue terms to yoru equation), and compare the energy input Q to the sum of the stage inputs Q1 + Q2. The known efficiencies for the carnot engine can be incorporated into the second equation to begin the analysis. The relative magnitude of Q and (Q1 + Q2) can be interpreted to tell which efficiency is greater. You need to state your conclusion, not just come up with an equation for e2stage

1. What is a 2 Stage Carnot Engine?

A 2 Stage Carnot Engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the principles of the Carnot cycle. It consists of two separate stages, each with its own isothermal and adiabatic processes, and is used to study the maximum possible efficiency of an engine.

2. How does a 2 Stage Carnot Engine work?

A 2 Stage Carnot Engine operates by taking in heat from a hot reservoir, expanding it to do work, and then expelling the remaining heat to a cold reservoir. This process is repeated in both stages, with the work done by the engine being the difference between the heat absorbed and the heat expelled.

3. What is the efficiency of a 2 Stage Carnot Engine?

The efficiency of a 2 Stage Carnot Engine is calculated using the formula 1 - (Tcold/Thot), where Tcold is the temperature of the cold reservoir and Thot is the temperature of the hot reservoir. This means that the efficiency of a 2 Stage Carnot Engine is always less than 100% and is dependent on the temperatures of the two reservoirs.

4. What are the limitations of a 2 Stage Carnot Engine?

One of the main limitations of a 2 Stage Carnot Engine is that it is a theoretical concept and cannot be built in real life. Additionally, it assumes perfect efficiency and does not take into account real-world factors such as friction and energy loss.

5. How is a 2 Stage Carnot Engine used in scientific research?

A 2 Stage Carnot Engine is used in scientific research as a theoretical model to study the maximum efficiency of heat engines. It is also used to understand the principles of thermodynamics and to compare the efficiency of real-life engines to the theoretical maximum efficiency predicted by the Carnot cycle.