What's Your Personal Philosophy for Life?

In summary, a personal maxim to live by is to have good intentions, but also to prioritize honesty, morality, and self-preservation above them in certain situations.
0rthodontist said:
I define it as what a person thinks is best at a given time. Wouldn't you agree--for example--that by this definition, terrorists act on their good intentions?

Well yeah, and wouldn't you agree if we let "honesty" be defined by what a person thinks is "honesty" also leads to chaotic outcomes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm treating honesty as an absolute. I'm not saying act by what you think is honest--I'm saying act by what is honest.

In the same way, but reversed, I'm not saying act by what is right--I'm saying act by what you think is right, and what you think is right is also known as your best intentions. These are notoriously fickle. If I just said act by what is right, then there would be no need to say anything else, but by the same token it wouldn't impart much information on how to act.

Elements of my philosophy are scattered throughout my journal/blog, but I like this.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

The goal is to skid in broadside; tires smoking, body all dented, leaking fluids and fuel gauge on empty, thoroughly used up and worn out, and loudly proclaiming - Holy s***! What a Ride!"
Yeah! :biggrin: :tongue2:

Life's a b*tch, but it beats the hell out of the alternative.

Astronuc said:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

The goal is to skid in broadside; tires smoking, body all dented, leaking fluids and fuel gauge on empty, thoroughly used up and worn out, and loudly proclaiming - Holy s***! What a Ride!"

It almost sounds like someone is then planning on donating his body to the Wayne State crash test lab... :biggrin:

physics girl phd said:
It almost sounds like someone is then planning on donating his body to the Wayne State crash test lab... :biggrin:
I've crash landed on the ground a few times - the last few times falling of a roof or out of a tree.

Luckily, if you land on your beard you'll just bounce a bit. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Luckily, if you land on your beard you'll just bounce a bit. :biggrin:

and why is that so?

Have you looked at his picture? The man grew his own air-bag.