Child sliding down a frictionless slide

In summary, the conversation is discussing a child sliding down a frictionless slide and determining at what height they will lose contact with a section of the slide with radius R. The equations for potential energy and kinetic energy were considered, as well as the equation for centripetal force. The final solution given was h=2H/3 if R >=2H/3, or h=R if R<2H/3.
jfreimer

Homework Statement

A child starts from rest and slides down a frictionless slide. In terms of R and H,
at what height h will he lose contact with the section of radius R?

(child starts at the top with height H, at the bottom the slide flattens out and then forms a quarter circle to the ground with radius R)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried figuring it out using potential energy and kinetic energy since that is the chapter. I think it has something to do with mgH=mgh+1/2mv^2 and then solving v^2 for some value using centripetal motion but I wasn't sure how to set that step up.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had you attempt at a solution in mind as well. Equating Potential Energies and solving. Now, what is the equation for Centripetal Force?

[tex]F=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

Just work from there.

My attempt for a solution has given the answer h=2H/3 if R >=2H/3 , else h=R
Is it possible?

1. What is a frictionless slide?

A frictionless slide is a hypothetical object that has no resistance or friction when an object slides down it. It is often used in physics problems to simplify calculations.

2. How does a child slide down a frictionless slide?

In a frictionless slide, the child will slide down without any resistance or friction. This means that the only force acting on the child is gravity, causing them to accelerate downwards.

3. Will a child slide down a frictionless slide forever?

In reality, a frictionless slide is not possible as there will always be some form of resistance or friction. However, in a hypothetical scenario, the child would continue to slide down forever as there are no opposing forces to slow them down.

4. What factors affect a child sliding down a frictionless slide?

In a frictionless slide, the only factor that affects the child's speed is their mass. The greater the mass of the child, the faster they will slide down the slide due to the force of gravity.

5. How is a frictionless slide different from a regular slide?

A regular slide has a surface that creates friction, which slows down the child's descent. In a frictionless slide, there is no surface resistance, so the child will slide down at a constant speed until they reach the end.