Function required to be integral - (measure theory?)

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem about a function i that takes two arguments, one being another function f and the other being a region R, and satisfies certain properties similar to the integral. The speaker asks for help in finding this theorem, which their professor said was a basic result in measure theory. The suggested resources to find the theorem are Wikipedia and a Google search for "Lebesgue measure" uniqueness.
jbusc
Hi,

Some time ago one of my professors told us about a remarkable theorem, which stated something along the lines of: if a function i takes two arguments, one being another function f, and the other being some region R on which the function f is defined, and this function i satisfies some particular properties (such as linearity in f, if disjoint regions st R1 U R2 = R then i(f, R1) + i(f, R2) = i(f, R), etc) which are similar to the integral, then the function i _must_ be the integral of f.

I later asked him again, and he said it was a basic result in measure theory (which he did not pursue further since it was not a measure theory class). However I have been unable to find this theorem again, partly because I never was quite sure of the exact properties the theorem requires, and also because I never pursued more measure theory. I would really appreciate it if someone could recognize this theorem and either point me to a source, clarify the conditions, or even just tell me what it's called.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if a functional has the properties that it is linear in f, "additive", "translation invarient", and such that if f(x)= 1 for x in R then the functional returns the area of R, it must be the integral.

Check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measure_theory

or goggle on '"Lebesgue measure" uniqueness'

Hello,

The theorem you are referring to is known as the Lebesgue's Dominated Convergence Theorem, and it is indeed a fundamental result in measure theory. It states that if a function i satisfies the properties you mentioned (linearity, additivity, etc.) and also satisfies the condition that it is dominated by a measurable function g on the region R, then i must be the integral of f over that region R.

This theorem is important because it allows us to interchange the order of integration and limit in certain cases, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and physics. It also provides a way to evaluate integrals that may otherwise be difficult to compute directly.

I hope this helps clarify the conditions and name of the theorem for you. If you would like to learn more about measure theory and its applications, I would suggest looking into textbooks such as "Measure Theory and Integration" by G. de Barra or "Real Analysis" by H.L. Royden. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the definition of a function required to be integral?

A function required to be integral is a function that can be represented as the sum of infinitely many smaller parts. It is a concept in measure theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurement of sets and functions.

2. Why is it important for a function to be integral?

Integrability is important because it allows us to calculate the area under a curve or the volume of a solid, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and their relationships with other functions.

3. How is integrability related to measure theory?

Integrability is related to measure theory because it involves measuring the size of sets and functions, which is the main focus of measure theory. In fact, measure theory provides a rigorous framework for defining and evaluating integrals.

4. What are the different types of integrals in measure theory?

The two main types of integrals in measure theory are the Lebesgue integral and the Riemann integral. The Lebesgue integral is more general and allows for the integration of a wider class of functions, while the Riemann integral is more restrictive but easier to compute.

5. How can I determine if a function is integrable?

To determine if a function is integrable, you can use the tools of measure theory, such as the Lebesgue integral or the Riemann integral. These tools help determine if a function meets certain criteria, such as being bounded or having a finite number of discontinuities, which are necessary for integrability.