Should I take a course in Java?

• Courses
  • Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Java
In summary, the person is considering taking a course in Java, but is unsure if it is worth it because it will take up time that could be spent on other classes. They also recommend learning another language, as C++ is similar but simpler.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Well I should be graduating this spring if every went to plan. But of course it didn't. I started going to school in 2003 as a Software Engineering major, got hurt took a year off for recovery, went back to school as a computer engineer, took all the maths and EE courses/physics I didn't need because I soon found out I hated EE and Computer Architecture which made me switch back to Computer Science (not software engineering because its not offered here).

Anyways, now I have to take a lot of other classes, such as 2nd language, and some more stat classes. Well with all the classes that now don't count for anything and then ones I still need to take I still need 44.5 credits to graduate ~ 2 years.

Well they are offering a course in java that I could take but its not required since they just changed the comp sci curriculum (but it is required for the upcoming freshman/sophomores).

At very beginning I was very excited to hear a class in java was finally being offered, but now I feel if I take that class, it will take up too much time and take away from my 400 level cse courses (java being only a 200 level course).

Perhaps if I had free time I could just teach myself java because I have programmed in it before its just been about eh, 3 years. (all the programming I've been doing in my other classes have been in C/C++/VHDL/ASM). I can learn languages very fast but I find I don't have any free time at all to just sit down and start a programming project not related to my classes.

I was going to take the course as a refresher but now I'm having second thoughts. Should I take the course so on my next co-op when they ask me if I'm comfortable with Java I can say yes without any doubt in my mind... or should I just focus on my core classes such as A.I., Operating Systems, Data structures, computer graphics ( and refresh on java when the time comes when I need to use java on the job) ?

THanks any advice would be great!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
might as well spend your time buildng a renderer or AI Api or rebuild STL.

OR learn C#

good idea! :)

I already did a lot of rebuilding the STL in C++, it was quite hellish but I think your right, I need to spend time on bigger and better things and just refresh.

Thanks!

yes STL was a lot of...mmmm fun i still don't get half the #define flags for it though. Too many for platform independency. Its allocation functions were the most pain to understand.

For AI: build a NNets or GeneticAlgos or AStar or FSM or decision or ALL IN ONE...theres quite a few open source algos out there...the biggest difference compared to Graphics or Datastructures...is you need a good Test bed (IMO).

Graphics just start with geometric primitives and branhc out to either ROAM, Scenegraphs and animation or cllassical dynamics.

Data structures...mmm pick up a graph theory text and go through allt he problems.

My advice is to learn something new. You will find a 200-level cone you alourse in a language that is very similar to but simpler than C++ very, very boring.

1. Should I take a course in Java?

It depends on your goals and interests. If you are interested in computer programming and want to learn a popular language used in many industries, then taking a course in Java can be beneficial.

2. What are the benefits of learning Java?

Learning Java can open up career opportunities in software development, web development, and mobile app development. It is also an object-oriented language, which can help improve your problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge to take a Java course?

It is helpful to have some basic understanding of computer programming concepts and syntax, but many Java courses are designed for beginners. As long as you have a willingness to learn and a strong work ethic, you can succeed in a Java course.

4. How long does it take to learn Java?

The time it takes to learn Java can vary depending on factors such as your learning style, the intensity of the course, and your previous experience with programming. However, with consistent effort and practice, most people can become proficient in Java within a few months.

5. Can I learn Java on my own or do I need to take a course?

While self-study is possible with the abundance of online resources available, taking a structured course can provide a more comprehensive and hands-on learning experience. It also allows for feedback and guidance from an experienced instructor, which can be beneficial for beginners.