Bee's interview with Garrett. BLAM It connects.

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary: E8 may be that it is not a perfect model. In summary, Garrett Lisis interviews Einstein and inspires him to blog. Garrett argues that because of his other accomplishments, Einstein would not have had the time or motivation to blog and that if he lived in our time, he would not blog. ChristineMarcus responds that Einstein was probably too busy chasing women and having affairs to have the time or motivation to blog.
Being a non-physicist, I have a couple of questions (the only (hopefully) intelligent ones I've been able to fomulate so far):

1. Earlier, jal mentioned the Zome model of E8, and I'm curious to know: just how accurate is that model? Does it conform to the mathematical equations?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/d5/180px-E8_roots_zome.jpg

2. When the video talks about "rotating" the model, just how is it rotating - in 8 dimensions, or what? It's hard to see the exact rotation angle in the vid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unbeliever said:
2. When the video talks about "rotating" the model, just how is it rotating - in 8 dimensions, or what? It's hard to see the exact rotation angle in the vid.

I think that's right. the 8D space if being projected down to the 2D plane of your screen, so you are seeing the shadow of an eight dimensional rotation.

actually in the video i think there is a series of rotations where the plane of rotation may change from one to the next.btw Welcome Unbeliever! may you ask many a perceptive question here, and may a goodly share of them eventually get answered.

could be someone could do considerably better than I with this quetion about rotations, but its a start. :smile:

Thanks Marcus! And thanks for the welcome!