Proving Countable Additivity of a Measure on a Family of Sets

In summary: I think you might need to construct another set but don't see what to construct. Isn't this just the fact that a countable sum is the limit of its finite subsums (by definition)?In summary, the attempt at a solution to proving that a<=b<=a was to show that a<=b+e for any e. This was not successful. The strategy used was to show that a<=b for any finite n. To do this, the assumption was made that all sets in the union X_n are disjoint. This was then proved to be true by showing that m(x) is greater than or equal to m(X_n) for all n.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

Consider a measure f mapping from a family of sets A to [0,infinity]

Let the measure be finitely additive and countable subadditive.

Prove that f is countably additive on A.

The Attempt at a Solution

To show equality from an inequality we do ie.

a<=b>=a so a=b

I tried this strategy with measures and sets but couldn't see it through. I might need to construct another set but don't see what to construct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this just the fact that a countable sum is the limit of its finite subsums (by definition)?

Or, in the thing you're doing with a<=b<=a (which is what you should have written, rather than writing b>=a twice), a is the infinite sum of the measures, and b is the measure of the infinite union of the sets. What you need to do is show b=>a-e for any e, which is just saying something about sums being limits of partial subsums.

Last edited:
I prefer to show reverse inequality.

This would show the reverse inequality, if by that you mean it would show that a<=b<=a: one is clear b<=a, and the other would show that b>a-e for any e. thus b=>a.

subtractions are avoided when dealing with measures because the element of infinity is in the set which cannot be subtracted. So equivalently show b+e>a for any e? To show b>=a

Uh, what on Earth does that mean? Just treat the case of a collection of sets having infinite measure separately if you must, but it is not important - the sequence either converges or diverges.

Look, I have a sequence of measurable (i.e. of finite measure) sets

S_1, S_2, S_3,...

And I know that m(S_1 u S_2 u S_3 ...) => m(S_1 u S_2 ... u S_n)

for any n. Now do you understand why this is just a statement about the sum of a series? I am *not* subtracting any measures, the -e is purely from what it means for an infinite sum to be the limit of its partial subsums.OK, let's put it this way: if any of the S_i has infinite measure, so does the union and there is nothing to prove. So suppose each S_i has finite measure.

Let X_n be the union of S_1,..,S_n, and let X be the union of all the S_i

Then m(X_n)=m(S_1)+..+m(S_n) by hypothesis, and

What do we know? m(X) is less than or equal to the limit of m(X_n) by assumption, and m(x) is greater than or equal to m(X_n) for all n - it's just a question about sequences:

suppose that a_n tends to a and that b satisfies a<=b and b=>a_n for all n, then b=a (note this even includes the case when a is infinity.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
m(x) is greater than or equal to m(X_n) for all n - it's just a question about sequences:

suppose that a_n tends to a and that b satisfies a<=b and b=>a_n for all n, then b=a (note this even includes the case when a is infinity.

I am unsure about the statement 'b=>a_n for all n'. Do you mean b>a_n for any finite n?

I am a bit rusty with proof of infinite sequences and series.

I think I see where you are getting at. You have laid out most of the solution in post 6 and recquires one more step or so to complete it. All I have to prove is that m(x) is greater than or equal to m(X_n) for all n.

In fact to prove 'm(X) is greater than or equal to m(X_n) for all n.' All one needs is the monatonicity of measure since X_n is a subset of X for all n so m(X_n)<=m(X) for all n. => lim(n->infinity) m(X_n)<=m(X)

but m(X)<= lim(n->infinity) m(X_n) as given so m(X)=lim(n->infinity) m(X_n) = infinite series as each partial sum is a finite series. Take n-> infinity and you get an infinite series.

The assumption in this is that all sets S_i in X are disjoint and rightly so they should for equality. It seems like this is a nice problem to test your knowledge of infinite series and sequences.

pivoxa15 said:
I am unsure about the statement 'b=>a_n for all n'. Do you mean b>a_n for any finite n?

I meant what I wrote. And how can there be anything other than a 'finite n' since n is an element of the natural numbers?

I am a bit rusty with proof of infinite sequences and series.

That is a bit worrying if you're doing measure theory.

This statement is correct?

'since X_n is a subset of X for all n so m(X_n)<=m(X) for all n implies lim(n->infinity) m(X_n)<=m(X)'

Matt, just an observation. I never recall you make a post telling me I am right. Is not replying your way of saying that there is nothing wrong with the post?

What do you want me to say?

"since X_n is a subset of X for all n so m(X_n)<=m(X) for all n"

is obviously true by the definition of measure.

m(X_n) is an increasing sequence of real numbers bounded above be m(X), so of course the limit of m(X_n) is less than m(X), again by the basic definitions of analysis.

Does that ease your mind?

If its true then it would be good to just say so. No further explanation is needed. I should be grateful that you're here in the first place.

1. What is the definition of countable additivity?

Countable additivity is a property of measures on a family of sets, which states that the measure of the union of countably many disjoint sets is equal to the sum of their individual measures.

2. Why is proving countable additivity important in the field of mathematics?

Proving countable additivity is important because it is a fundamental property of measures that allows for the development of important mathematical concepts and theories, such as integration and probability theory.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove countable additivity?

Some common techniques used to prove countable additivity include using the definition of a measure, using the properties of countable unions, and using mathematical induction.

4. Can countable additivity be proved for any family of sets?

No, countable additivity can only be proved for certain families of sets, such as sigma-algebras or measurable spaces. It depends on the specific properties and structure of the family of sets in question.

5. What are the implications of failing to prove countable additivity for a measure?

If countable additivity cannot be proved for a measure, it means that the measure does not follow the fundamental property of measures and may not be suitable for use in certain mathematical theories or applications.