Did Maurice Ravel really have Alzheimer's?

• Thread starter Mallignamius
  • Start date
In summary, scientists have found evidence that suggests Maurice Ravel may have been suffering from Alzheimer's disease when he composed Boléro. However, others argue that his preference for repetitive patterns could be due to various other disorders or simply his musical style. Ultimately, without an autopsy, it is difficult to definitively determine Ravel's condition at the time of composition.
Mallignamius
Can scientists accurately determine Ravel's condition based on one musical composition? I hope they were relying on more than just that.

Maurice Ravel was in all likelihood suffering from Alzheimer's disease at the time of his composition of Boléro, as deduced by scientists after they found evidence of 'perseverance', a characteristic feature of patients with Alzheimer's, in Boléro, which is the repetitive notes we hear.
http://hercules.gcsu.edu/~hedmonds/lecture notes/CLASSICAL MUSIC.html

HOWEVER

In "M. Ravel discusses his own work: The Boléro explained", The Daily Telegraph, 1931-07-11, he is quoted:

It constitutes an experiment in a very special and limited direction, and should not be suspected of aiming at achieving anything different from, or anything more than, it actually does achieve. Before its first performance, I issued a warning to the effect that what I had written was a piece lasting seventeen minutes and consisting wholly of "orchestral tissue without music" -- of one very long, gradual crescendo. There are no contrasts, and practically no invention except the plan and the manner of execution.
http://books.google.com/books?id=lF...sic"&as_brr=3&sig=eN3yDGokAkJr_1fU1jghaxq8tQs
From A Ravel Reader: Correspondence, Articles, Interviews; Compiled and edited by Arbie Orenstein

I like this author's take on it:

Ravel died of a brain tumor and some recent investigations by a British doctor indicate that he suffered from Alzheimer disease because "...the famous melody repeated 18 times without change during the course of the piece demonstrates that the French composer was possibly succumbing to Alzheimer's disease. Perseveration, an obsession with repeating words and gestures, is one of the more notable symptoms of this pathology"... Now, with all due respect, with that type of approach, we have to assert that Pachelbel's Canon is a Mental institution case, not to mention most music with variations...
http://www.mangore.com/bolero_ravel.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Boléro is a great song.

hmmm..that seems like a big leap. I was told in my last neuroscience class that Alzheimer's can only be definitively diagnosed in an autopsy. They need to examine ratios of plaques and tangles in the brain (we all have them) compared with normal brain tissue. Unless they had Ravel's actual brain to examine, it seems unlikely that they could draw a strong conclusion about this.

The preference for repetitive patterns could indicate various disorders, including schizophrenia, OCD, autism, or of course, the disruptive position of his fatal brain tumor. Or it could be simply due to the fact that he was a gifted musician who enjoyed (and recognized the enjoyment of others in) repetitive patterns in music. If he died at 62, that seems a smidge early to be indicating Alzheimers, but not completely out of the question. I know that the risk of Alzheimers doubles every year after 65, but I don't know what the rate is around the age that Ravel expired.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Boléro is a great song.
The work is interesting for the first couple of minutes. After that, it's the same thing getting louder and louder for the next ten minutes. :biggrin:

I listened to a six minute version and it just didn't sound as good.

I was never very impressed with Bolero. Kinda boring, IMHO. My favorite piece by Ravel is the "Pavane pour une infante défunte".

Math Is Hard said:
They need to examine ... tangles in the brain ...
They have to unravel Ravel? You know he's been decomposing for about 70 years now!

Bolero is only fun if it comes with Bo.

Gokul43201 said:
They have to unravel Ravel? You know he's been decomposing for about 70 years now!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ay yi yi

You know he's been decomposing for about 70 years now!

Is that the most popular Monty Python Joke? I see it wherever there is a discussion on dead composers.

Bolero is only fun if it comes with Bo.

:rofl:

1. Did Maurice Ravel really have Alzheimer's?

There is a lot of debate surrounding the true nature of Maurice Ravel's health condition. While some experts believe he did have Alzheimer's disease, there are also those who argue that he may have had a different neurological disorder or even suffered from the side effects of a brain injury.

2. What evidence is there to support the claim that Ravel had Alzheimer's?

One of the main pieces of evidence used to support the argument that Ravel had Alzheimer's is a report from his doctors in the last years of his life. They noted symptoms such as memory loss, confusion, and difficulty communicating, which are all associated with Alzheimer's disease.

3. Was Ravel officially diagnosed with Alzheimer's?

No, Ravel was never officially diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease during his lifetime. The term "Alzheimer's" was not commonly used or understood at the time, and Ravel's doctors simply referred to his condition as "senile dementia."

4. Are there any other factors that could have contributed to Ravel's cognitive decline?

Yes, there are several other potential factors that may have contributed to Ravel's cognitive decline. These include a brain injury he suffered in a taxi accident, depression, and the use of certain medications. It is also possible that he had a combination of these factors in addition to Alzheimer's disease.

5. Does the debate about Ravel's health have any impact on his musical legacy?

The debate about Ravel's health has no impact on his musical legacy. Regardless of the true nature of his health condition, he remains one of the most influential and celebrated composers of the 20th century. His works continue to be studied and performed by musicians around the world.

Back