Centripetal Acceleration Problem HELP

In summary, centripetal acceleration refers to the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path and is always directed towards the center of the circle. To solve a centripetal acceleration problem, the given values for velocity, radius, and mass must be identified and the formula a = v^2/r can be used. Centripetal acceleration is different from centrifugal acceleration, which is an apparent outward acceleration due to an object's inertia. Centripetal acceleration affects the motion of an object by keeping it in a circular path and its magnitude determines the tightness of the circle. It can also be negative, indicating acceleration in the opposite direction of the object's motion.
Sucks@Physics
I don't know what I'm doing wrong on this one...

What is the centripetal acceleration of a point on the perimeter of a bicycle wheel of diameter 70cm when the bike is moving 7.0m/s.

isn't centripetal acceleration just v^2 / r?

I get 140m/s^2, but the answer is 180m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
did you convert 70 cm into metres? And also 70 cm is the diametre, to get the radius you hve to divide the Diametre by 2..

yea i did. .35 = radius 7=velocity 7^2/.35 = 140m/s^2

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do I solve a centripetal acceleration problem?

To solve a centripetal acceleration problem, you will need to identify the given values for velocity, radius, and mass of the object. Then, use the formula a = v^2/r to calculate the centripetal acceleration. Make sure to use consistent units and pay attention to the direction of the acceleration, which should be towards the center of the circle.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal acceleration is the apparent outward acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. Centrifugal acceleration is not a real force, but rather a perceived effect of an object's inertia resisting the change in direction.

4. How does centripetal acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Centripetal acceleration is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular path. Without it, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle. The magnitude of centripetal acceleration also determines the tightness of the circle, with larger acceleration resulting in a smaller radius and vice versa.

5. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

Yes, centripetal acceleration can be negative. This means that the acceleration is directed in the opposite direction of the object's motion, towards the outside of the circle. This can happen when the object is slowing down or moving in a clockwise direction, for example.