Calculating Force Generated by Gas Powered Launcher

In summary, a student designs a gas powered launcher that expels a force when the valve is opened suddenly. The pressure tank and barrel have the same dimensions while the valve connecting the two has a diameter of 25 mm.
Quaboble
A student designs a gas powered launcher that consists of a pressure tank, a valve and a barrel. When the valve is turned the gas, in this case air, expands propelling whatever is in the barrel. The pressure tank and barrel have the same dimensions while the valve connecting the two has a diameter of 25 mm. Assume the valve instantly opens. How much force in Newtons is generated when the valve is opened at the exit end of the valve (point X)?
cokelauncherforce.jpg

Please help me, I'm totally lost :( I actually made this question as I have built this launcher and am wondering what its power theoretically is. I was never taught how to do this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you need to know the muzzle velocity of the projectile, why are you asking for force, because that won't be constant? Have you done adiabatic expansion.? Show some attempt, and help will come. Read up your books or notes.

Cant really attempt it... I've only had 1 complete term of basic physics, and this isn't even a question assigned to me by school. How will muzzle velocity of the projectile help me?. I am just curious to know if it is possible to calculate the force expelled by the expanding air.

Last edited:
At the moment the valve is opened suddenly, it is possible to calculate how much force the compressed air exerts on an object that is pressed against the outlet of the valve. It is the product of the pressure in the tank minus atmospheric pressure multiplied by the cross-sectional area of the end of the valve , in any self consistent system of units.

Thanks! So it should work like this:

pressure: 140 Psi - 14.7 Psi = 125.3 Psi (converting to pascal = 863,913 Pa)
cross sectional area of valve: .0125 ^2 x Pi = .00049 meters squared

then: 0.00049 meters x 863,913 Pa = 423.317 Newtons

Does that sound about right?

I haven't checked the numbers, but the concept is correct.

Alright thanks a bunch for the help man!

Usually it's not the valve area, but the cross-sectional area of the barrel that mostly determines the force. You'd have to check the flow through the valve to see if that's limiting, but it's possibly not. Keep in mind that the supply tank will lose pressure as the potato (pumpkin, whatever) goes up the barrel. And, as noted earlier, this is adiabatic; I've seen ice fly out of these things.

And, I got to ask you, man. What material are you putting 140 psi in? Should I introduce you to ole 3 fingers McGurk who exploded a tire at 100 psi? Because air is compressible, pressure is somewhat dangerous.

By the way, most people do the muzzle velocity by "borrowing" the baseball radar gun from the coach's office. Once, we even got the local police to come out and do it.

Last edited:
Hmmm... well the ammunition is coca cola bottles and cans (both have a near perfect fit for 70 mm piping). The rounds are put directly against the valve which protrudes a bit into the actual barrel so the gas hits the projectile before it expands into the barrel. The pressure tank is made out of PVC piping and i have taken it to 140 Psi already. Hmm well I live in Europe (though i used to like in the USA) so baseball is rare and i doubt my school even has a radar gun. European schools really miss out on the sports when compared to American schools :P

1. How do I calculate the force generated by a gas powered launcher?

To calculate the force generated by a gas powered launcher, you will need to know the mass of the object being launched, the velocity of the object, and the time it takes for the object to be launched. From there, you can use the equation F = m*a to calculate the force, where m is the mass and a is the acceleration of the object. The acceleration can be determined by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the object to be launched.

2. What units should I use when calculating the force?

The units for force are typically measured in Newtons (N). However, depending on the units used for mass and acceleration, you may need to convert them to ensure consistency. For example, if mass is given in kilograms and acceleration in meters per second squared, the resulting force will be in Newtons.

3. How does the type of gas used in the launcher affect the force generated?

The type of gas used in the launcher can affect the force generated in several ways. The pressure of the gas will directly impact the force, with higher pressure resulting in a greater force. Additionally, the density and molecular weight of the gas can also play a role in determining the force generated. Generally, denser gases and those with higher molecular weight will produce a greater force.

4. Can the force generated by a gas powered launcher be increased?

Yes, the force generated by a gas powered launcher can be increased by adjusting various factors such as the pressure of the gas, the mass of the object being launched, and the angle of the launcher. Increasing any of these factors will result in a greater force being generated.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a gas powered launcher?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when using a gas powered launcher. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and following manufacturer instructions carefully. It is also important to never aim the launcher at people or animals, and to always use caution when handling and storing the gas used in the launcher.