Center of Existence: Is Earth Really the Center of the Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of the Earth being the center of the universe and how it relates to the concept of existence and God. It touches on the vision of Black Elk and the central mountain being everywhere, and how stillness and movement come together at the center of the world. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that God is everything and exists within ourselves.
Iacchus32
So, the Earth is not the http://www.dionysus.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61 huh? How so?

If the Universe is endless, then we must be in its center. In fact we always will be. Why? Because that's what existence is all about, being in the center of who we are ... If you told the bug under the rock that his little domain wasn't the center of the universe, do you think he'd get it? How could he? Else he'd have to concern himself with some other bug under some other rock in some other galaxy far far away, let alone the bug under a rock just two feet away! And do you think that would wash over? ;)

So, is it wrong to believe the Earth is the center of the Universe then? Afterall, everything operates from within its center doesn't it? In fact if we understood this, we might understand that the Holy Land of all our mythologies is not someplace out there but, within us. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The universe is not necessarily endless, and if it were, the phenomena that would result (infinitely many copies of you, for example) would destroy any simple reasoning. "A sphere with surface nowhere and center everywhere" is not a mathematical statement but an ill-defined mystical one.

selfAdjoint said:
The universe is not necessarily endless, and if it were, the phenomena that would result (infinitely many copies of you, for example) would destroy any simple reasoning. "A sphere with surface nowhere and center everywhere" is not a mathematical statement but an ill-defined mystical one.
Time and space comes together in the here and now. And no matter where you go, you're there. :wink:

Iacchus32 said:
Time and space comes together in the here and now. And no matter where you go, you're there. :wink:
I don't know about you; but, I'm always here. Everytime I go somewhere, no matter where I go, I am always here. You, on the other hand are always there. From your aspect, of course, no matter where I go I am always there, proving once again that everything is relative.

We all individually and collectively are always right here in the center, the center of our being and thus the universe, no matter where our bodies or or thoughts may be.
So here I am and there you are. :wink:

The vision of Black Elk

Excerpt from Joseph Campbell's, The Power of Myth ...

The vision of Black Elk ...

He says, "I saw myself on the central mountain of the world, the highest place, and I had a vision because I was seeing in the sacred manner of the world." And the sacred central mountain was Harney Peak in South Dakota. And then he says, "But the central mountain is everywhere."

That is a real mythological realization. It distinguishes between the local cult image, Harney Peak, and its connotation as the center of the world. The center of the world is the axis mundi, the central point, the pole around which all revolves. The central point of the world is the point where stillness and movement are together. Movement is time, but stillness is eternity. Realizing how this moment of your life is actually a moment of eternity, and experiencing the eternal aspect of what you're doing in the temporal experience -- this is the mythological experience.

Royce said:
I don't know about you; but, I'm always here. Everytime I go somewhere, no matter where I go, I am always here. You, on the other hand are always there. From your aspect, of course, no matter where I go I am always there, proving once again that everything is relative.

We all individually and collectively are always right here in the center, the center of our being and thus the universe, no matter where our bodies or or thoughts may be.
So here I am and there you are. :wink:
If we're all in our center, and the center is everywhere, that's another way of saying God embraces everything, right? :wink:

Iacchus32 said:
If we're all in our center, and the center is everywhere, that's another way of saying God embraces everything, right? :wink:
Yep! And God is everything and everything is God.

Royce said:

So here I am and there you are.

That was so cute! :cool:

God is everything, huh? Wouldn't that make the term "god" completely superfluous? Can we then discard the concept entirely?

loseyourname said:
God is everything, huh? Wouldn't that make the term "god" completely superfluous? Can we then discard the concept entirely?
God is singularity itself. :wink:

What is the Center of Existence?

The Center of Existence is a concept that has been debated by scientists and philosophers for centuries. It refers to the idea of a central point or location that holds a special significance in the universe.

Is Earth really the Center of the Universe?

No, Earth is not the Center of the Universe. This idea was popularized by the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle, but it has been disproven by modern scientific discoveries. The universe is vast and constantly expanding, and there is no evidence to suggest that Earth holds a special position within it.

What evidence supports the idea that Earth is not the Center of the Universe?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the idea that Earth is not the Center of the Universe. For example, the heliocentric model proposed by Copernicus in the 16th century and later confirmed by Galileo and Kepler, shows that the planets revolve around the sun, not Earth. Additionally, the discovery of other planets and galaxies outside of our solar system further disproves the idea of Earth as the Center of the Universe.

Why do some people still believe that Earth is the Center of the Universe?

Some people may still believe that Earth is the Center of the Universe due to cultural or religious beliefs, or simply because they are not aware of the scientific evidence that disproves this idea. Additionally, the concept of Earth as the Center of the Universe has been ingrained in our society for centuries, making it a difficult belief to let go of.

What impact does the idea of Earth as the Center of the Universe have on our understanding of the universe?

The idea of Earth as the Center of the Universe has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe throughout history. It has shaped our views on cosmology, astronomy, and even religion. However, as our knowledge and technology have advanced, we have been able to gain a more accurate understanding of the universe and our place within it.