Finite Simple Groups: Exploring Order and Lagrange's Theorem

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the statement that all nontrivial finite simple groups have prime order is false. A counterexample is the group A_5, which is the smallest finite simple non-abelian group. This disproves the converse of Lagrange's theorem, which states that if a group has order a and b divides a, there is not necessarily a subgroup of G that has an order of a. Additionally, any subgroup of an abelian group is normal, which further supports the existence of counterexamples to this statement.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] simple groups

Homework Statement

T or F: All nontrivial finite simple groups have prime order.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to say yes with Lagrange's Theorem, but I am not sure that applies...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's false. A counterexample is going to be necessarily non-abelian (why?).

I think I see. The reason is that the converse of Lagrange's theorem is false, right? I mean that if a group has order a and b divides a, there is not necessarily a subgroup of G that has an order of a.

The classic example is A_4. I believe this has no proper subgroups although it has order 12.

I am not exactly sure about the answer to your "why". Is it because any finite abelian group can be written as Z_p^r cross ... and you just multiply the p^r s to get the order of the group?

Yup - that the converse to Lagrange is false in general is basically why this statement is false. (Incidentally, the converse is true for abelian groups. Thus, the only finite simple abelian groups are those of prime order. And, in fact, any simple abelian group is finite.)

ehrenfest, you do know that 'simple group' means 'no normal subgroups', right? A_4 is a bad classic example. It has a both proper subgroups and a normal subgroup. I think what morphism is getting at is that ANY subgroup of an abelian group is normal. And Lagrange's theorem gives you one automatically if the order of the group is not prime.

Last edited:
umm. so what is a counterexample then?

A very classical and popular one: A_5. This is the smallest finite simple non-abelian group.

I should expand a bit on my comments in #4. Suppose the converse to Lagrange's theorem held for all types of finite groups. Say we're given a nontrivial finite group G whose order is not prime. Let p be the smallest prime divisor of |G|. Then G must have (since we're assuming Lagrange's converse holds) a subgroup H of order |G|/p. This subgroup has index p in G, and is thus normal. (Here I'm using the following nifty fact: If H is a subgroup of a finite group G, and [G:H] is the smallest prime divisor of G, then H is normal.) Moreover, H is nontrivial and not the entire group. So G cannot be simple.

Last edited:
I suppose. But "supposing the converse to Lagrange's theorem held" is sort of ultra-hypothetical.

Definitely - and that was the point of my post - just hypothesizing about why a counterexample should exist. :smile: I guess I should have also explicitly mentioned that A_4 is not a counterexample to the statement in the OP, in post #4.

Too bad counterexamples do exist. Otherwise we could have gotten over this group classification problem before they invented computers. :)

1. What are finite simple groups?

Finite simple groups are mathematical structures that have a fixed number of elements and are not divisible into smaller groups. They are important in abstract algebra and have connections to many other areas of mathematics.

2. Why is the study of finite simple groups important?

The study of finite simple groups is important because they are the building blocks of more complex mathematical structures. They also have applications in areas such as cryptography and coding theory.

3. What is order in relation to finite simple groups?

The order of a finite simple group is the number of elements it contains. This is an important property, as it helps us classify and understand different types of finite simple groups.

4. What is Lagrange's theorem and how is it related to finite simple groups?

Lagrange's theorem states that the order of a subgroup of a group must divide the order of the larger group. This theorem is important in the study of finite simple groups because it helps us understand the structure of these groups and classify them into different categories.

5. How are finite simple groups used in real-world applications?

Finite simple groups have applications in many areas of mathematics, such as cryptography, coding theory, and the study of symmetry in physical systems. They also have connections to other fields such as physics and computer science.