Calculate the cosine of OAB

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosine
In summary, we are given two points, A and B, with position vectors relative to a fixed origin O. We can find the vector from A to B by subtracting the vectors, resulting in (3i + 6j + 6k). To calculate the cosine of the angle OAB, we need to find the vector from A to O, which is -A, and use the dot product formula. This results in a cosine of -2/3. For part c, we can find the equation of the line AB using the given position vectors and the parameter t. However, to show that the point P with a position vector of ti + 2tj + (2t - 9)k lies
nokia8650
Relative to a fixed origin O, the point A has position vector 4i + 8j – k, and the point B has position vector 7i + 14j + 5k.

(a) Find the vector A to B.

(b) Calculate the cosine of OAB.

(c) Show that, for all values of t, the point P with position vector ti + 2tj + (2t - 9)k
lies on the line through A and B.

I am having problem with parts b and c.

For a) - A to B is (3i + 6j + 6k)

for b), I get the cosine of the angle using the dot product formula to be positive 2/3 - however the markscheme says negative 2/3.

I am really stumped with c - I don't know how to tackle this problem. I can find the equation of the line AB to be r= (4i + 8j - k) + t(i + 2j + 2k). However, I don't understand how this ties into the question. I can see that the "t" coefficients are the same, but where does the -9 in the question come from?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For computing the angle OAB I think they want you to find the vectors relative to the origin A (i.e. two arrows going outward from A). One is the AB that you found, but the vector from A to O is actually -A. For c) there are lots of different ways of writing the parametric equation of corresponding to changes in the parameter t. You line equation is (t+4)i+(2t+8)j+(2t-1)k. Try substituting t->t-4. Same line, different equation.

What is the cosine of OAB?

The cosine of OAB is a mathematical function that calculates the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse of a right triangle with angle OAB.

How do you calculate the cosine of OAB?

To calculate the cosine of OAB, you will need to know the length of the adjacent side and the hypotenuse of the right triangle. Once you have these values, you can use the formula cos(OAB) = adjacent/hypotenuse.

What is the range of values for the cosine of OAB?

The cosine function has a range of values between -1 and 1. This means that the cosine of OAB can be any value between -1 and 1, depending on the length of the adjacent side and the hypotenuse.

Why is calculating the cosine of OAB important?

The cosine function is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the relationships between angles and sides of triangles, which is essential for solving many real-world problems.

Can the cosine of OAB be negative?

Yes, the cosine of OAB can be negative. This occurs when the angle OAB is in the second or third quadrant of the unit circle, where the cosine function is negative. It can also be negative when the adjacent side is longer than the hypotenuse, resulting in a negative ratio.