Elastic Collision of a ball and an elephant

In summary: Sorry about the confusion.In summary, when a charging elephant with a mass of 5230kg and a speed of 4.45m/s is hit by a 0.15 rubber ball travelling at a speed of 7.91 m/s, the ball will bounce back towards the thrower with an approximate speed of 16.8 m/s. The full equation for finding the final velocity of the ball is v2,f = (2m1/(m1+m2))v0. However, this equation only works if the initial speed of the ball is zero. To accurately calculate the final velocities, the conservation of momentum and conservation of energy equations should be used instead.
kaka2007
A charging elephant with mass 5230kg comes toward you with speed of 4.45m/s. You toss a 0.15 rubber ball at the elephant with a speed of 7.91 m/s. (a) When the ball bounces back toward you, what is the speed?

Answer= 16.8

I don't know if the answer is written wrong in the back of the book or if I'm oversimplifying it.

Since the mass of the elephant is so big compared to the ball shouldn't it just be 2 x 7.91?.

I just used v2,f = (2m1/(m1+m2))v0

since m2 approaches zero I would expect (2m1/m1)v0 --> 2v0

Physics news on Phys.org
kaka2007 said:
A charging elephant with mass 5230kg comes toward you with speed of 4.45m/s. You toss a 0.15 rubber ball at the elephant with a speed of 7.91 m/s. (a) When the ball bounces back toward you, what is the speed?

Answer= 16.8

I don't know if the answer is written wrong in the back of the book or if I'm oversimplifying it.

Since the mass of the elephant is so big compared to the ball shouldn't it just be 2 x 7.91?.

If the ball was at rest and collided with the elephant, the ball would rebound with approximately twice the elephants speed.

If the elephant was at rest, after the collision, the ball would rebound with approximately the same speed it had before the collision, but moving in the opposite direction.

I just used v2,f = (2m1/(m1+m2))v0

This is not the full equation; this is what's left of the equation after you have set [tex]v_{2i}\to 0[/tex]. What is the full equation for [itex]v_{2f}[/itex]? That should give you the correct answer.

I think you need to go ahead and apply the conservation of momentum and conservation of energy to get two equations for two unknowns, i.e. the final velocities of the elephant and ball. The equation you quoted doesn't fit this situation. It only works if the initial speed of the elephant is zero (i.e. the ball bounces against a wall) It is true that the velocity of the elephant will hardly change. However, his mass is so large that this amounts to a significant transfer of momentum to the small ball.

Think about swinging a sledge hammer at a ping pong ball. You won't even know that you hit it. You can bet that the ping pong ball will go flying back at more than twice what it came in at.

Hi Chrisas,

Chrisas said:
I think you need to go ahead and apply the conservation of momentum and conservation of energy to get two equations for two unknowns, i.e. the final velocities of the elephant and ball. The equation you quoted doesn't fit this situation. It only works if the initial speed of the elephant is zero

I don't believe that is correct. The equation in the original post only works if the ball's initial speed is zero, not the elephant's.

There is a standard set of equations for the final velocities that are derived by using the momentum and kinetic energy conservation equations, and the equation kaka2007 quoted was just that part that remains after you set the ball's initial velocity to zero.

Your probably right. I didn't work through the math myself. I was looking at the equations as derived by Serway and trying to match to what he wrote. I was attempting to juggle Serway's i's and f's with balls and elephants and the OP's 1's and 2's in my head and probably got them swapped at some point.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the objects involved is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. Can an elastic collision occur between a ball and an elephant?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between a ball and an elephant. As long as the collision is direct and the surface of both objects is smooth, the collision can be considered elastic.

3. How does the mass of the objects affect the elastic collision?

The mass of the objects does not affect the elastic collision. The total kinetic energy will still be conserved as long as the collision is elastic.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of an elastic collision between a ball and an elephant?

The speed and direction of the objects before the collision, the smoothness of the surface, and the angle at which the objects collide can all affect the outcome of an elastic collision between a ball and an elephant.

5. How is the conservation of momentum related to an elastic collision?

The conservation of momentum is closely related to an elastic collision. In an elastic collision, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is because the objects are exchanging energy without any loss or gain, resulting in the conservation of momentum.