Frictionless sphere, falling particle

In summary, the angle at which a particle loses contact with a large smooth sphere of radius R is dependent on the acceleration of the particle. It can be mathematically explained using conservation of energy and equating centripetal force with mgcos(x). The angle is equal to the arccos of 2/3.
professor

Homework Statement

A particle initially sits on top of a large smooth sphere of radius R. The
particle begins to slide down the sphere without friction. At what angle .
does the particle lose contact with the sphere?

Homework Equations

g=9.8m/s2 perhaps? (Is this dependent on the acceleration?)

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like the angle that the particle loses contact with the sphere is possibly dependent on the acceleration of the particle. If so, I don't know how to mathematically explain this relationship. If the angle is equal to x, sinx will give a tangent vector of a magnitude proportional to the size of the angle, but I don't know if that gets me anywhere.

My second guess is that the particle either loses contact with the sphere at 90 degrees, or 45 degrees. I know that the particle cannot possibly hold on to the sphere without an adhesive property after 90 degrees. I do not know if a particle would be able to stay on the sphere past 45 degrees though.

Physics news on Phys.org
professor said:

Homework Statement

A particle initially sits on top of a large smooth sphere of radius R. The
particle begins to slide down the sphere without friction. At what angle .
does the particle lose contact with the sphere?

Homework Equations

g=9.8m/s2 perhaps? (Is this dependent on the acceleration?)

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like the angle that the particle loses contact with the sphere is possibly dependent on the acceleration of the particle. If so, I don't know how to mathematically explain this relationship. If the angle is equal to x, sinx will give a tangent vector of a magnitude proportional to the size of the angle, but I don't know if that gets me anywhere.

My second guess is that the particle either loses contact with the sphere at 90 degrees, or 45 degrees. I know that the particle cannot possibly hold on to the sphere without an adhesive property after 90 degrees. I do not know if a particle would be able to stay on the sphere past 45 degrees though.

As the particle slides down it will gain speed according to mgh being converted to kinetic energy. You may recognize that h is a function of θ.
You may also want to recognize that when mv2/R exceeds a certain point that it will lose contact with the sphere.

Thanks, I got it now, the angle is the arccos of 2/3. I just used conservation of energy for the particle, and get mgh+mv^2/r =mgh+mv^2/r, then solved fo V^2 later by equating centripetal force with mgcos(x) so the net force would be 0, where the particle fell off of the sphere.

1. What is a frictionless sphere?

A frictionless sphere is a theoretical object that does not experience any resistance or force that opposes its motion when moving on a surface. It is a simplified model used in physics to study the effects of motion without the complication of friction.

2. How does a frictionless sphere behave when it falls?

A frictionless sphere will fall with a constant acceleration due to gravity, as there is no force acting against its motion. This acceleration is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared near the Earth's surface.

3. Can a real object be considered a frictionless sphere?

No, a real object cannot be completely frictionless as all surfaces have some level of friction. However, certain objects such as a ball bearing or a marble can come close to behaving like a frictionless sphere in certain conditions.

4. What is the significance of studying a frictionless sphere?

Studying a frictionless sphere allows us to understand the fundamental principles of motion without the influence of friction. This can help us make more accurate predictions and calculations in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

5. Are there any real-world applications of a frictionless sphere?

Yes, there are some applications where a frictionless sphere is used, such as in certain types of bearings and rollers. It is also used as a theoretical model to study the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space.