How to become a Software Developer?

In summary: I'm thinking that if you want to learn more about game programming, you might want to consider learning Unity 3D. Unity is a powerful game development platform that's used by many big name game developers. It's relatively new, but it's already very popular.
quddusaliquddus
Hi,
I know a little programming and am thinking of one day opening a software development co. Is there any1 who can gimme any advice as I have no real experience of how this would work. How to get work. What r common client requests? etc ... BTW What would be the most useful language(s) / software to learn? :smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should have knowledge of both procedural and object-oriented languages. Different languages are suited to different applications. There are RAD (Rapid Application Development) languages for relatively simple programs for which the user interface is central.

A language like C is good for just about anything, IMO, but is particularly-well suited to high-performance (for example, games) and low-level (for example, operating systems) applications.

If you are going to be heading the software co, you should have good knowledge of all popular languages, IMO.

Cheers mate. There's so little info on the web ... proper info from experinec on this. Any ideas on how you actually get business...other than word of mouth?...what kinda programs are 'usually' demamded (if there is such a thing)

Hi

I personally think that if you want to make a career out of this, you should consider the option of being formally educated in the related fields. Software design/programming require a lot of effort especially when you're doing it for money. Technology is changing so fast these days that you've got to move with the times. So fundamentals are essential as much as the intellectual satisfaction and enjoyment you derive from your work. You could start by reading online resources about computer hardware, software design, coding principles and eventually move on to the areas specific to your goals and to the language(s) you wish to use for work.

If you're a newbie I would suggest you acquaint yourself with C/C++ and computer hardware. A computer science course certainly helps here, but you can probably do without formal education if you read books and experiment a lot. Remember, experimentation and tinkering with stuff you read about is an effective way to learn and hone your skills as you go along. If you want to go into game programming, graphics/multimedia programming is necessary. Use those languages and environments which you feel comfortable with. But I think the first step should be C/C++ (which considering the huge amount of resources available online and offline, shouldn't take you much time).

Cheers
Vivek

Stroustrup doesn't really recommend learning C first before C++ and think it's a bad idea.

Learn 1 programming language, master it and stick with it.

I recommend C++, although it can be fairly hard for the beginner, some people may vibe well with Visual Basic heh

The_Professional said:
Stroustrup doesn't really recommend learning C first before C++ and think it's a bad idea.

Learn 1 programming language, master it and stick with it.

I recommend C++, although it can be fairly hard for the beginner, some people may vibe well with Visual Basic heh
[tex]A_i_j=A_j_i[/tex]
Its a symetric tensor ! The only difference people can find here is just a deliberate inversion of i and j, it is a tensor's property that can be easily proved...If people already learn C they can also change into C++ easily, is it right ?
Learning C/C++ is up to what your flavor is, C++ beginners' books will have some initial chapters introducing some C++ basic programming techniques which are mainly coming from C with many notations to remind readers to realize how C++ programming style is different from C and perhaps when chapter about class is brought up, they will truly learn to start with a C++ program, Bjarn Stroustrup's book is what I do not recommend for a beginner, but it at least I have learned from many people and also think is a must-have for all C++ programmers.

Just a thought,

1. What education is required to become a software developer?

In general, a bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field is preferred by most employers. However, some individuals may be able to enter the field with just a high school diploma and relevant experience or certifications.

2. What programming languages should I learn to become a software developer?

The most commonly used programming languages for software development include Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript. It's important to have a strong foundation in at least one of these languages, but being proficient in multiple languages can make you a more versatile and desirable candidate.

3. Do I need to have strong math skills to become a software developer?

While having a basic understanding of math concepts is helpful for software development, it is not a requirement. Many developers work with tools and libraries that handle complex mathematical calculations, so as long as you have strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail, you can succeed as a software developer.

4. Is it necessary to have prior work experience to become a software developer?

No, but it can be beneficial. Many employers prefer candidates with some prior experience or internships, but there are also plenty of entry-level positions available for those with no prior work experience. Building a strong portfolio of personal projects can also help demonstrate your skills and knowledge to potential employers.

5. What skills besides programming should I have to become a software developer?

In addition to technical skills in programming languages and software development tools, soft skills such as communication, problem-solving, and teamwork are also important for a successful career as a software developer. Being able to work well with others, adapt to new technologies, and think critically are all valuable skills in this field.