Finding the equation of the tangent plane

In summary, we are asked to find the equations of the tangent plane and the normal line to a given surface at a specified point. The equation of the tangent plane was found to be x + y + z = 3, and the normal line was found to be perpendicular to the slopes of the partial derivatives at the given point.
grog

Homework Statement

Find the equations of the tangent plane and the normal line to the given surface at the specified point.

xy+yz+zx=3 @ (1,1,1)

Homework Equations

z-z0=fx(x0,y0)(x-x0) + fy(x0,y0)(y-y0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like this should be really easy, but I'm not sure how to get started. the equation from the book for the tangent plane seems to imply I should isolate z from the equation and go from there, but that seems like it would make things messy and more complicated than necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, based on the solution to another problem, I've worked out:

F(x,y,z) = xy+yz+zx = 0
Fx = y+z = 2
Fy = x+z = 2
Fz = y+x = 2

and the equation of the plane as

2(x-1) + 2(y-1) + 2(z-1) = 0
or
x+y+z = 3

How does that look for the equation of the tangent plane?

grog said:
ok, based on the solution to another problem, I've worked out:

F(x,y,z) = xy+yz+zx = 0
Fx = y+z = 2
Fy = x+z = 2
Fz = y+x = 2
A correction to the above. The partials are all functions, and are not constant.
Fx(x, y, z) = y+z, Fx(1, 1, 1) = 2
Fy(x, y, z) = x+z, Fy(1, 1, 1) = 2
Fz(x, y, z) = y+x, Fz(1, 1, 1) = 2
grog said:
and the equation of the plane as

2(x-1) + 2(y-1) + 2(z-1) = 0
or
x+y+z = 3

How does that look for the equation of the tangent plane?

Looks fine to me.
I approached this a different way, assuming that z was (implicitly) a function of x and y.
From the original equation, I got
[tex]z_x = \frac{-y - z}{x + y}[/tex], and
[tex]z_y = \frac{-x - z}{x + y}[/tex]

At the point of tangency,
[tex]z_x(1, 1) = \frac{-y - z}{x + y}|_{(1, 1)} = -1[/tex], and
[tex]z_y(1, 1) = \frac{-x - z}{x + y}|_{(1, 1)} = -1[/tex]

From these I got the same equation for the plane, namely x + y + z = 3.

As a check, the point (1, 1, 1) satisfies the plane's equation.
The vector i + j + k is normal to the plane.
The two first partials, expressed as vectors are i - k [tex](z_x at (1, 1, 1))[/tex])
and j - k [tex](z_y at (1, 1, 1))[/tex]

If you dot the latter two vectors with the plane's normal vector, you get zero, meaning that the slopes of the partial derivatives are each perpendicular to the plane's normal. That pretty well nails down the plane.

1. What is the equation of the tangent plane?

The equation of the tangent plane is a mathematical representation of the plane that touches a given surface at a specific point. It is used to approximate the surface at that point and is a useful tool in calculus and geometry.

2. How is the equation of the tangent plane calculated?

The equation of the tangent plane is calculated using the partial derivatives of the surface function at the given point. It can also be found by using the normal vector to the surface at that point.

3. What is the significance of the tangent plane in math and science?

The tangent plane is an important concept in math and science as it allows us to approximate a complex surface at a specific point and make calculations and predictions. It is also used in fields such as physics and engineering to understand the behavior of surfaces.

4. Can the equation of the tangent plane be used with any surface?

Yes, the equation of the tangent plane can be used with any surface that is differentiable, meaning it has a well-defined tangent at every point. This includes common surfaces such as spheres, cones, and planes.

5. How does the equation of the tangent plane relate to the concept of derivatives?

The equation of the tangent plane is closely related to the concept of derivatives. In fact, the partial derivatives used to calculate the equation of the tangent plane are the same derivatives used in finding the slope of a tangent line to a curve. This connection allows us to use the tangent plane to approximate a surface in a similar way to how we use tangent lines to approximate a curve.