Particle resonance and the resonance in a driven, damped classical

In summary, a particle resonance occurs when the interaction probability goes up when the scattering goes through an intermediate state whose invariant mass is near a certain value. This resonance is found in classical damped harmonic oscillators, and it corresponds to a high amplitude oscillation near a certain driving frequency.
Bobhawke
I am trying to understand the analogy between a particle resonance and the resonance in a driven, damped classical oscillator.

I guess I should first ask for a clear definition of a particle resonance - is this just an excited state which decays quickly?

I understand that the KG equation which all quantum fields obey is just the equation for the harmonic oscillator. I don't understand how exactly particle resonances are analagous to resonance in the classical harmonic oscillator - could someone explain please?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Bobhawke said:
I guess I should first ask for a clear definition of a particle resonance - is this just an excited state which decays quickly?

Many folks think this, but it's not quite it. You also have a phase shift in the scattering at the resomance mass. If you look at the http://pdg.lbl.gov/2007/reviews/kinemarpp.pdf" , it's covered in 38.5.3. In particular, the Argand plot in Figure 38.6 will indicate that there is a resonance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobhawke said:
I am trying to understand the analogy between a particle resonance and the resonance in a driven, damped classical oscillator.

I understand that the KG equation which all quantum fields obey is just the equation for the harmonic oscillator. I don't understand how exactly particle resonances are analagous to resonance in the classical harmonic oscillator - could someone explain please?

Thanks

This question can be answered from different angles.

When you scatter strong-interacting particles off one another, you experience resonant scattering near certain energies. Resonant means that the interaction probability goes up when the scattering goes through an intermediate state whose invariant mass is near a certain value. We call this a "particle resonance" if it appears that the resonance occurs because of an unstable intermediate strongly-bound state.

Classical damped harmonic oscillator exhibits a resonance (high amplitude) near a certain driving frequency. The amplitude of the oscillator as a function of the frequency follows a bell curve - the peak tells you the resonant frequency and the width tells you how much damping there is.

Particle scattering exhibits a resonance (high probability to interact) near a certain invariant mass. Interaction cross-section as a function of invariant mass follows a bell curve - the peak tells you the mass of the particle resonance and the width tells you how unstable it is. The more unstable the particle, the wider the peak.

1. What is particle resonance?

Particle resonance is a phenomenon in which a particle or system of particles vibrates at its natural frequency when it is driven by an external force at the same frequency. This results in a large amplitude of vibration and can lead to significant energy transfer.

2. How does resonance occur in a driven, damped classical system?

In a driven, damped classical system, resonance occurs when the driving frequency matches the natural frequency of the system. The system will oscillate with a large amplitude at this frequency due to the energy transfer from the external force, but the amplitude will decrease over time due to damping.

3. What factors affect particle resonance?

The factors that affect particle resonance include the natural frequency of the particle or system, the frequency and amplitude of the external force, and the amount of damping present in the system. Additionally, the mass and stiffness of the system can also play a role in determining the resonance frequency.

4. How is particle resonance used in real-world applications?

Particle resonance is used in various real-world applications, such as in musical instruments, where the natural frequency of the strings or air column is matched with the frequency of the musician's input to produce sound. It is also used in engineering and construction to prevent damage from earthquakes by designing buildings to withstand the resonance frequency of seismic waves.

5. What are the dangers of particle resonance?

Particle resonance can be dangerous when it occurs in structures or machines that are not designed to withstand it. For example, if the resonance frequency of a bridge matches the frequency of strong winds, it can lead to structural failure. In addition, resonance can also cause excessive vibrations in machinery, leading to wear and tear and potential malfunctions.