Increase the duty cycle of a pwm?

In summary, increasing the duty cycle of a PWM can be achieved by either using a separate logic controller or generating one from a Picaxe chip. Alternatively, a monostable circuit can be used to control the PWM by varying the length of the output pulse. More details about the specific application and circuitry are needed for a more specific solution.
biby_eva
I need to know how can I increase the duty cycle of a pwm.

Thank you very much :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
biby_eva said:
I need to know how can I increase the duty cycle of a pwm.

Thank you very much :)

Welcome to the PF. We will need more details about your application and circuitry before we can be of much help. Please be as descriptive as possible.

PWM is controlled by a logic circuit which is usually controllable.

However if you have no access to the logic controller, you can easily generate your own from a cheap Picaxe chip, provided your circuit uses 5 volts and can be driven with less than 20 mA.

Google Picaxe for details. These are simple computers on one chip with enough memory for simple jobs and an interesting toolkit of tricks they can do. Chips suitable for this can cost less than $5. Programming is in a Basic-like language but with a lot of I/O commands. The programming editor is free and a programmer can be added to your circuit board with 2 resistors and a socket.

Another way would be to trigger a monostable on the rising edge of the incoming PWM then vary the length of the output pulse with the monostable and retrigger on the next rising edge. Since this ignores the falling edge of the incoming waveform, you have complete control of the PWM.

1. What is a duty cycle in a PWM?

A duty cycle in a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is the percentage of time that a signal is ON compared to the total time of the signal. It is typically represented as a percentage or a decimal value between 0 and 1.

2. How can I increase the duty cycle of a PWM?

To increase the duty cycle of a PWM, you can either increase the ON time of the signal or decrease the OFF time of the signal. This can be achieved by adjusting the pulse width or frequency of the PWM signal.

3. What is the purpose of increasing the duty cycle in a PWM?

Increasing the duty cycle in a PWM allows for a longer ON time of the signal, which can result in a higher average voltage or current output. This can be useful in various applications such as motor speed control or LED brightness control.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of increasing the duty cycle in a PWM?

One potential drawback of increasing the duty cycle in a PWM is that it can increase the power dissipation and heat generation in the circuit. This can cause damage to components if not properly controlled. Additionally, increasing the duty cycle too much can result in signal distortion and potentially affect the accuracy of the output.

5. How can I calculate the new duty cycle after increasing it?

To calculate the new duty cycle after increasing it, you can use the formula: Duty Cycle = (ON Time / Total Time) x 100%. Alternatively, if you know the previous duty cycle and the desired increase, you can simply add the increase to the previous duty cycle. For example, if the previous duty cycle was 30% and you want to increase it by 10%, the new duty cycle would be 40%.