Find the equation in the form of ax+by+cz=d

• Thread starter XBOX999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the first question asks for the shortest distance from point P=(-3,4,2) to line L:(x,y,z)=(3,-2,-1)+(1,-2,2)t, which can be found by minimizing the distance along a line connecting P and L. This can be done by finding the angle at which the line and the connecting line meet, and satisfying certain conditions with vectors q-p and v.For the second question, the equation in the form of ax+by+cz=d is being sought for the plane that goes through point P=(-3,4,2) and line L:(x,y,z)=(3,-2,-1)+(1,-2,2)t. This can be found by using
XBOX999
Hello,
I need help in this two quetion. Please, show me all the steps to solve them.

1- Find the distence from a point P= ( -3,4,2) to a line L:(x,y,z)= ( 3,-2,-1)+(1,-2,2)t.

2-find the equation in the form of ax+by+cz=d, of the plane going through a point
P= (-3,4,2) to a line L:(x,y,z)= (3,-2,-1) + (1,-2,2)t.

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm at the library, i was just looking at those in my crc standard formulas and tables around page 240-250. its a piece of cake but i can't quote them. someone will show up.

XBOX999 said:
Hello,
I need help in this two quetion. Please, show me all the steps to solve them.

1- Find the distence from a point P= ( -3,4,2) to a line L:(x,y,z)= ( 3,-2,-1)+(1,-2,2)t.
2-find the equation in the form of ax+by+cz=d, of the plane going through a point
P= (-3,4,2) to a line L:(x,y,z)= (3,-2,-1) + (1,-2,2)t.

For the first part, the distance from a point to a line is by definition the SHORTEST possible distance along a line connecting P and L. At what angle must the two lines meet in order for the distance to be minimized?

In other words, if q is a point on the line, you want ||q - p|| to be the shortest possible. If v is a vector pointing in the direction of the line, what condition must the vectors (q - p) and v satisfy?

1. What is the meaning of the variables in the equation ax+by+cz=d?

The variables a, b, and c represent the coefficients of the x, y, and z terms, respectively. d is the constant term.

2. How do I find the equation in the form of ax+by+cz=d from a given set of points?

To find the equation, you need to first choose two of the given points and plug their coordinates into the equation. This will give you two equations with two unknowns (a and b). Repeat this process with another two points to get two more equations. Then, solve the system of equations to find the values of a, b, and c, and plug them into the equation ax+by+cz=d.

3. Can the equation ax+by+cz=d be used for any type of graph?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of graph, as long as it is in three-dimensional space and the variables x, y, and z represent the coordinates of the points on the graph.

4. What is the purpose of finding the equation in the form of ax+by+cz=d?

Finding the equation allows us to represent a three-dimensional graph in a more concise and organized way. It also helps us to analyze and understand the relationship between the variables and the graph.

5. Is it possible to have multiple equations in the form of ax+by+cz=d for the same graph?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple equations for the same graph, as long as they represent different planes or lines on the graph. Each equation will have its own set of coefficients and constants.