Wallet Conundrum: Why No Coin Compartment?

• Thread starter noblerare
  • Start date
In summary, most male wallets do not have a coin compartment because it can damage the leather. Most women's wallets still have one, but it's not as common.
noblerare
Hey all,

I always wanted to ask people this. Why do most male wallets do not have a coin compartment? My old wallet did have one so whenever I would make a cash transaction, I could put the coins in the little compartment. Why do these wallets do not have coin compartments? For the males on this board, what kind of wallet do you have and what do you do with miscellaneous coins you get from making purchases?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My wallet has a little pouch with a button inside for coins. I had one wallet from the ages of 8 to 20 and when I had to buy a new one I was shocked to learn not all wallets had a place to put coins

My main wallet has enough compartments to carry all my credit/debit cards, and a place for paper money. There's almost never an actual need for me to make a hard cash transaction. The only ones I make are when someone at work cooks for everyone, but that's always a nice round dollar number.

If I ever do end up with coin change, I just stick it in my pocket until the first chance I have to get rid of it.

Edit- Actually it does have a little pouch, but I never considered it as a coin pouch. Even if I had realized that all along, I would never have put coins in there.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket, not your back pocket. This will decrease pressure on your bones when you sit and will confuse pickpockets. Just my two cents. I don't know where you will put them.

jimmysnyder said:
Keep your wallet in your front pocket, not your back pocket. This will decrease pressure on your bones when you sit and will confuse pickpockets. Just my two cents. I don't know where you will put them.
I just fling pennies at strangers on the street. They don't seem grateful for the first cent I give them. By the second they look like they are ready to hit me. I assume people don't like money or have an allergy to copper.

Just kidding, though there was a time I was heading to a laundromat with a friend. I flung a quarter across the street and he said they were too valuable to just throw away. I said he should pick it up then. So he did and I kept throwing them across the street. He got tired after about $2 or $3 and I stopped throwing them.

Wallet in the front. Coins in the back. They get left as a part of a tip or put in a jar for all eternity when I get home.

Well, one of the unspoken reasons is that the coins damage the leather, which is why almost every luxury wallet does NOT have a coin compartment; and these brands usually carry a few coin pouches in their catalog. I've a cheap polyester/nylon wallet that comes with a coin pouch - expected.

And so I guess the idea eventually gets 'copied' around in the rest of the industry, and some if not most of the wallets have no coin compartment without any actual reason of their own.

You can only put a few coins in before they start to fall out or create very uncomfortable bulges. I don't think I've paid cash for anything in the last 15 years except outside of the US, or coin operated machines that I specifically acquired quarters for.

junglebeast said:
You can only put a few coins in before they start to fall out or create very uncomfortable bulges. I don't think I've paid cash for anything in the last 15 years except outside of the US, or coin operated machines that I specifically acquired quarters for.

That is mostly true for me as well. We use an airmiles credit card for almost everything, and then pay it off each month. This allows for at least one free trip to Hawaii each year.

When I was first out on my own, I once went two weeks with nothing but tomato sandwhiches to eat. I swore that would never happen again and started saving my coins as an emergency reserve for food. To this day, when I do get change, it goes in the front pants pocket until I get home, at which time it goes in a basket. I make a point to never spend change.

At one point I had nearly filled a Sparlett's water bottle with change. IIRC, I had about $500 in coins. Eventually I cashed that in and got a big basket [Tsu thought my bottle was ugly].

Last edited:
ephedyn said:
Well, one of the unspoken reasons is that the coins damage the leather, which is why almost every luxury wallet does NOT have a coin compartment

Women's leather wallets still have a coin compartment, though, and I've never seen one wear out faster than any other part of the wallet. I always assumed that men just tossed loose coins into their pocket rather than have a bumpy wallet, so there was no need for a coin holder in men's wallets. That's why men get those nice big pockets in their pants for everything, and then a belt to hold their pants up from all the added weight.

All the men I've known just toss the coins they accumulate during the day into a dish or jar when they get home. All the women I know wait until their purse could be used for weight training to dump out all the coins into a jar.

Moonbear said:
Women's leather wallets still have a coin compartment, though, and I've never seen one wear out faster than any other part of the wallet.
It's a man thing. We rub our wallets with that part of the anatomy that does not appear in your handbag. (I think, you've got everything else in there.) That's why we need belts too.

jimmysnyder said:
It's a man thing. We rub our wallets with that part of the anatomy that does not appear in your handbag. (I think, you've got everything else in there.) That's why we need belts too.

If your wallets rubbing you there, you should probably get new pockets

My wallet is thick enough as it is without coins in it. Even if it did have a coin pocket, I wouldn't use it.

I started putting coin in my wallet when I was flying in Germany. Since a lot of their currency (1 and 5 mark pieces as well as lower denominations) were coins, one had a fair amount of them. I couldn't have loose coins even in my pockets so I put them in my wallet. I still do it to this day even though none of my wallets have had a pocket for them. I just put them in with my paper bills. It drives me nuts having loose change in my pockets.

I was wondering if wallets might be more likely to contain a coin compartment in countries where there are higher denominations of currency in coin form. Or is it more common for men to carry a coin pouch?

Coins aren't worth carrying around. I drop them in a section of the center console of my Jeep as soon as possible.

Evidentally, they're not worth stealing, either.

I never lock anything, since the smart thieves would simply unzip my windows and the dumb ones would slice the top open with a knife. I've had everything and anything stolen from my glove box and the locking compartment on my center console, including registration and proof of insurance to phone or GPS chargers to tools to access badges. I've even had my sunglasses stolen (it took forever, though; for the longest time, no one would steal them).

I've never had my change stolen even though it's just sitting there in the open waiting for someone to grab it.

Or, more likely, people will only steal from the glove box or closed compartment in the center console (that's how I finally got someone to steal my sunglasses - I put them in the glove box).

Topher925 said:
My wallet is thick enough as it is without coins in it. Even if it did have a coin pocket, I wouldn't use it.

Sitting on fat wallets is a major cause of back pain in men. I make a point to take it out and sit it on the console while driving.

Coins still exist?

Ivan Seeking said:
Sitting on fat wallets is a major cause of back pain in men. I make a point to take it out and sit it on the console while driving.

Most men I know keep their wallet in their front pocket. Usually only the young guys wearing tight jeans keep it in their back pocket. In the back pocket, it's so easily lost or stolen, as well as it seems rather inconvenient to get at it. Plus, the front pockets in men's pants always seem so much roomier than back pockets.

If I had roomy pockets in my own clothes, I probably wouldn't even bother with a purse or wallet. Often, if I go out and have a jacket with pockets, I'll just toss a little cash (in case someone doesn't take credit or debit), one credit card and one debit card into my pocket and leave the purse at home. I usually keep enough coins in the car for things like tolls and parking meters. More annoying than a wallet or coins in the pocket would be carrying keys in the pocket. If I'm going out and am using just pockets, I pare down the keyring to just the front door key and car key...but that's probably not the best solution when you have to lug around a set of office keys or a spare key for a second vehicle, etc.

Other than clothes that lack adequate pocket space, really the only reason women really need to carry around purses is to tuck away their feminine hygiene products...and to lug all the stuff their husbands/boyfriends/kids hand to them to hold while out.

Office_Shredder said:
My wallet has a little pouch with a button inside for coins.
Cool. What happens when you press it?

I have a good sized wallet and have never had a back problem because of it. Maybe my butt indents enough to counter the large size wallet.

Moonbear said:
Plus, the front pockets in men's pants always seem so much roomier than back pockets.

Well, maybe for some guys. :wink:

Moonbear said:
and to lug all the stuff their husbands/boyfriends/kids hand to them to hold while out.
Guilty.

None of my wallets have ever had pockets for coins. Don't need them since I hardly ever carry cash on me.

Yea, I think I'll just have a credit card and a couple of bills in my wallet. The coins that I get from transactions during the day, I'll leave as loose change in my pocket and dump them in a dish when I get home. Then I'll change them into larger denominations when I get the chance to stop at a bank or something like that. I'll keep some quarters in my car so I can use them for parking meters.

Moonbear said:
Plus, the front pockets in men's pants always seem so much roomier than back pockets.
Really? Wouldn't that depend on the man? :biggrin:

1. Why do wallets not have a coin compartment?

Wallets traditionally do not have a coin compartment because coins can be bulky and heavy, taking up valuable space in the wallet. In addition, coins can easily fall out or get lost, making them less practical to store in a wallet. As a result, many wallet manufacturers have opted to prioritize card and cash storage over coins.

2. Are there any wallets with coin compartments?

While most traditional wallets do not have a coin compartment, there are some modern designs that do include a separate compartment for coins. These types of wallets are often marketed as "coin purses" or "coin wallets" and typically have a smaller size and more compact design.

3. Can I add a coin compartment to my existing wallet?

It is possible to add a coin compartment to your existing wallet, but it may require some DIY skills and materials. There are also some adhesive or clip-on coin compartments available for purchase that can be attached to the inside of your wallet. However, keep in mind that adding a coin compartment may make your wallet bulkier and less comfortable to carry.

4. How do people in other countries keep coins in their wallets?

In many countries, coins are used more frequently in daily transactions compared to the United States. As a result, some wallets in these countries may have a designated coin compartment. Other common methods of carrying coins include storing them in a separate pouch or using a coin holder attached to a keychain.

5. Will wallets eventually have a coin compartment in the future?

It is difficult to predict the future trends of wallet design, but it is possible that as cash and coins become less common in daily transactions, wallet manufacturers may prioritize adding a coin compartment to their designs. However, with the rise of digital and contactless payments, it is also possible that coins may become obsolete in the future, making a coin compartment unnecessary.