Can G be determined by measuring heat transfer in a controlled environment?

• Thread starter rockyshephear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining the value of G by setting two known masses on a known surface with a known coefficient of friction in a controlled environment. The idea is that the force between the two masses would be transferred into heat, which could somehow indicate G. However, it is mentioned that the gravitational force may not overcome static friction and that there must be a component of displacement for work to be done and heat to be generated. The concept of feeling a force is also discussed, with the conclusion that feeling a force does not necessarily mean work is being done.
rockyshephear
Would it be possible to determine the value of G by setting two very well know masses side by side on a very well know surface of well known coefficient of friction, in a controlled environment, so that the force applied on the smaller by the larger would be transferred entirely into heat (minus any molecular rearrangements). And the amount of the heat change in the system could somehow indicate G?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the gravitational force between the masses(even if huge) would overcome even static friction in the first place. So no question of heat generation either.

If there's a tendency for force to pull regardless if it can, does that create energy being channeled into heat?

rockyshephear said:
If there's a tendency for force to pull regardless if it can, does that create energy being channeled into heat?
Force's tendency is to change the momentum. That is what defines it. And if there is no component of displacement in the direction of force, it doesn't do work. Meaning, it doesn't change the energy of the body on which it acts. In this case there is no displacement at all.

So If I attach a thick tight rubber band around my body and a telephone pole, I'm not moving towards it so you're saying I don't feel any force? I only feel force when I give into the pull of the rubber band??

rockyshephear said:
So If I attach a thick tight rubber band around my body and a telephone pole, I'm not moving towards it so you're saying I don't feel any force? I only feel force when I give into the pull of the rubber band??

If you are not moving then you are not experiencing a net force. For heat to be dissipated via friction you must be doing work, hence a force applied over distance.

I said the force wouldn't be doing any work. Didn't say anything about what you 'feel'. You feel a force when the part of your body subject to the force tries to move while the remaining parts oppose it, whether the entire body gives in or not.

1. What is "Not your usual Cavendish"?

"Not your usual Cavendish" refers to a type of banana that is genetically modified to resist a deadly fungus called Fusarium wilt. This is different from the traditional Cavendish banana that is commonly found in supermarkets.

2. How is "Not your usual Cavendish" different from regular bananas?

"Not your usual Cavendish" bananas have been genetically modified to contain a gene from a wild banana species that makes it resistant to Fusarium wilt. This is a disease that affects traditional Cavendish bananas and can cause significant damage to crops.

3. Is "Not your usual Cavendish" safe to eat?

Yes, "Not your usual Cavendish" bananas have been thoroughly tested and approved by regulatory agencies for human consumption. They have been deemed safe and are not harmful to human health.

4. Can "Not your usual Cavendish" impact the environment?

The genetic modification of "Not your usual Cavendish" bananas has been carefully evaluated for its potential impact on the environment. The modified bananas have been found to have no adverse effects on the environment and are considered safe for cultivation and consumption.

5. Will "Not your usual Cavendish" replace traditional Cavendish bananas?

It is unlikely that "Not your usual Cavendish" will completely replace traditional Cavendish bananas. However, it can serve as a valuable tool for farmers in preventing Fusarium wilt and ensuring a stable supply of bananas for consumers.