How Do You Model a Horizontal Double Pendulum with External Forces?

• Thread starter nyknicks012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the differential equations for two linked bars rotating around a fixed pivot in the horizontal plane with applied external forces. The person has tried using examples of a double pendulum found online but has not been able to get intuitive results when simulating in matlab. They are seeking help or a helpful site for further guidance.
nyknicks012
I'm working on determining the differential equations governing two linked bars that rotate around a fixed pivot (located at the end of one of the bars). Something like a double pendulum but rotating in the horizontal plane so gravity is not an issue. There are applied external forces at the end of each bar (2 bars = 2 forces). I tried working my way through using examples of a double pendulum I had found online, but the solution I get does not give intuitive results when simulated in matlab. Any help or link to a helpful site would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
nyknicks012 said:
I'm working on determining the differential equations governing two linked bars that rotate around a fixed pivot (located at the end of one of the bars). Something like a double pendulum but rotating in the horizontal plane so gravity is not an issue. There are applied external forces at the end of each bar (2 bars = 2 forces). I tried working my way through using examples of a double pendulum I had found online, but the solution I get does not give intuitive results when simulated in matlab. Any help or link to a helpful site would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the PF. What is the context of this project? Is it an artistic project, or some mechanism for manufacturing of something, etc?

Can you post a sketch, with coordinate axes labeled, and show the forces and positions that are in your calculations? Can you post your attempt at the solutions so far, at least how you are trying to set up the DiffEqs?

I would suggest starting by reviewing the fundamental principles of mechanics and dynamics, specifically those related to rigid body motion and rotational dynamics. This will provide a strong foundation for understanding the behavior of the 2 bar linkage/double pendulum system.

Next, I would recommend carefully analyzing the system and breaking it down into smaller, simpler components. This will help in identifying the forces and constraints acting on each bar, and ultimately lead to the development of the differential equations governing the system.

It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field, or seek out additional resources such as textbooks or research papers on similar systems. Additionally, there are many online simulation tools and software programs that can assist in visualizing and analyzing the system.

Finally, I would encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with different approaches until you are satisfied with the results. As with any scientific endeavor, the process of finding the correct solution can be both challenging and rewarding. Best of luck in your research!

1. What is a 2 bar linkage/double pendulum?

A 2 bar linkage/double pendulum is a mechanical system consisting of two rigid bars connected by a joint or pivot point. This system is commonly used to study the motion and dynamics of pendulums.

2. How does a 2 bar linkage/double pendulum work?

A 2 bar linkage/double pendulum works by transferring the motion of one bar to the other through the shared joint or pivot point. This creates a continuous motion between the two bars, similar to the movement of a pendulum.

3. What are the applications of a 2 bar linkage/double pendulum?

A 2 bar linkage/double pendulum has various applications in engineering and physics, such as modeling the movement of clock pendulums, analyzing the dynamics of robotic arms, and studying the stability of structures.

4. How is the motion of a 2 bar linkage/double pendulum calculated?

The motion of a 2 bar linkage/double pendulum can be calculated using principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. Computer simulations and mathematical models can also be used to analyze the motion of this system.

5. What factors affect the motion of a 2 bar linkage/double pendulum?

The motion of a 2 bar linkage/double pendulum is affected by factors such as the length and mass of the bars, the angle of the joint or pivot point, and external forces such as gravity and friction. These factors can greatly influence the behavior and stability of the system.